SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

My CD changer hasn't been working for a while. I had seen the instructions from this forum on how to make the things work again, and everyone seems to have had luck with them, but me of course. I probably tried it twice to no avail, but just a few minutes ago I figured I'd give it one more try, just to be safe. And it worked! Or so I thought. The cartridge now goes in and out with the push of the eject button (at least now I've got my long-lost discs), but the player does nothing. It's got to be getting power, but the SID just shows the CD 01 display like it was working, then a NO CD message comes off, and the sound system reverts to the radio. When the cartridge is put in, I can't hear the discs loading like I can when it's working. Maybe it's just toast, but I feel so much closer. Like I said, at least I got my CD's back from the dead, but I'd really like to be able to listen to them in the car gain, and I feel more hopeful than before now that it does something. Any ideas?
Thanks a lot, guys.
-Happy Saabing!

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
There is a company that rebuilds the Saab/Clarion CD unit.

Just assure that you have juice to the CD from the head unit..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How could I check if the head unit is communciating with the changer? Is that a connection that gets messed up easily? I changed the ignition switch on the car and could have easily knocked something out of place, if that's possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
earthworm said:
There is a company that rebuilds the Saab/Clarion CD unit.

Just assure that you have juice to the CD from the head unit..
I think the problem is usually with the CD button on the head unit usually. Those do get rebuilt.

I had the same problem myself. I bought a brand new unit and once I received it I took apart the old unit I found a broken weld close to where the C-bus wire goes in. I fixed that, put the unit back in there and it worked on the first try :cool:

Now I have a brand new spare still in the original box :cheesy:

Did this happen after you unplugged the battery by any chance or was it like that before?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I was getting the No CD message and the cart would not eject so I figured it must be jammed. Clarion changers are not too hard to dismantle and troubleshoot easy problems. You might as well clean the lense while you're in there too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
(i just posted this elsewhere ;oops:)

But the same thing happens to me, more or less. After my car will loose power (disconnect battery) i can't get my changer to work. Once it does though it's fine, so it doesnt sound like a switch.

I have the same deal though, i can remove my cd cassette, but nothing past that.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I fixed the jammed cd changer yesterday and now all is fine. Whenever the changer stops working I just pull the radio and remove the fuse in the back for an hour. After putting in the radio code everything is fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
GaryG said:
I fixed the jammed cd changer yesterday and now all is fine. Whenever the changer stops working I just pull the radio and remove the fuse in the back for an hour. After putting in the radio code everything is fine.
Thanks, thats good to know i'll try that later today.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts