SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 SE convertable (204L). Purchased it about a month ago. I want to put a cd changer in it. Can anyone tell me where to find the models of the changers that went in this model year?

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
It's the factory changer or nothing with the 9-3. The dealer sells it for about $500, or you might get a deal at a junkyard or on eBay. If you go the used route, just make sure it was divorced properly. Search the forums for "divorced" and you'll find all the details about that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. I am talking about cd changer itself. I have the original cassette based stereo in the 9-3. Based on what little i have seen it sounds like there was a clarion unit and perhaps another manufatcurer that connected to the 9-3's stero unit and installed in the trunk. I have seen vague references to a "rectangular" connector and another shape. It seems like the shape of the connector determined the manufacturer of the changer. I am seeing some used units for sale on ebay and other places thats why I am asking

any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
10,382 Posts
Unfortunately I was talking about the changer itself too. :cheesy: The NG900 could use an aftermarket Clarion changer, but because of the security systems built into the 9-3, and the proprietary rectangular plug, it requires the factory changer. There aren't any aftermarket units that will work.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info. I try to learn everything I can about the cars i buy. This being my first saab, even after a month, I know this will not be my last saab. I have another related question. The dealer shows in its records that they modified the 6 pin connector the for original owner to a 4 pin connector and installed the changer. I talked to the service mgr and his only suggestion was to bring it on and let them look at (for a charge) and they would tell me what they did. Where would you normally find the connector?

thanks for all your help

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
gman2560 said:
This being my first saab, even after a month, I know this will not be my last saab.
You've caught the bug man! Welcome to the state of Saab dependence.

gman2560 said:
Where would you normally find the connector?
I assume you are talking about the CD changer cable? One end should be in the boot, driver's side most likely under the carpetting. You will also find the other end most likely attached to the back of the head unit up front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts