SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I know I saw a thread about the cd changer breaking in the 9-3. I've had mine for about 15 months now, and one day the thing stopped working. Now everytime I try to play a disc I get the infamous "disc error" on the SID, however I am able to eject the cd's no problem. I took it to the dealer and of course they tell me I had to order another one, so I figured that would take weeks or months. That appointment at the dealer was on 5/28, and they called me yesterday (6/6) to tell me the replacement was in! That's not too bad turnaround for once. Hafta wait and see how it operates however to make my final call. I will be having it installed this Saturday the 12th, so I'll let everyone know.

Oh and let me quickly complain about the new GM deal they have now with the "everyone gets the employee discount"...lovely...where was this a year and a half ago??? Like before I paid 28k for a near fully loaded LINEAR!!!

IQS

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hmmm...

I was thinking about getting the 6-disc in-dash changer for my '05 Linear... is this failure a common problem?

Oh, and a friendly nanna-nanna-boo-boo to you...;) I just got my '05 9-3ss Linear for $22800 with the promotions and rebates! That's the way it works on year-end discounts, though... it's the best time to buy a car. :cheesy: It doesn't hurt to have the manufacturer's parent company in the financial toilet, either. Just hope they stick around for 4 year or 50,000 miles! :lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Getting my car back tomorrow

They just worked on my cds as well. Brought car in monday for the 6 disc dead issue. Getting it back Wed. Talk about quick turn around. Only problem, they may not be able to get my cds out the unit, might have to wait until Clarion gets ahold of it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Clarion makes the 6-disc in-dash changer??? Oh, gawd! I thought Pioneer made all the stereo equipment for the 9-3. At any rate, I had a 6-disc changer in my 350Z I just got rid of and it fouled up all the time... guess who made it??? Clarion.:x

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Who needs a 6 disk changer when you have AUX and MP3 player? Disk stackers are yesterday's technology. Even a 1 Gb MP3 player holds more songs than a 6 stacker.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Saba, I didn't think Linears has the AUX input, only the cars with the Infotainment system (Arc, Aero)....?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Saba said:
Who needs a 6 disk changer when you have AUX and MP3 player? Disk stackers are yesterday's technology. Even a 1 Gb MP3 player holds more songs than a 6 stacker.
I've been toying with the MP3 player idea. Right now I'm burning lots of CD-R's. Living in the Stone Age here in South Jersey.

My dilemma is why bother with a $200 MP3 unit when next year's cell phone will play MP3's? I'm kinda with Bill Gates on that one. I think the stand-alone MP3 player is going to be a short-lived product.

Coincidentally, as I typed this my CD player at work started skipping and flashing error codes. Lots of freeplay in the motor spindle, so I guess that's finally worn after four years! Still, only $20 for a new one.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Saabseeker said:
Saba, I didn't think Linears has the AUX input, only the cars with the Infotainment system (Arc, Aero)....?
Any 9-3 can have aux-in. The stereo head units all have the same pinout. Linears included. 2005 Linears don't come stock with it, whereas Arcs & Aeros do.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My '05 Linear is on the way (driving a loaner right now)... how does one add the AUX in?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
Saabseeker said:
My '05 Linear is on the way (driving a loaner right now)... how does one add the AUX in?
There are lots of useful links on this topic in the FAQ.
I believe they all work, although the pictures were lost in the software change months ago.

The Etadyne website has a how-to as well.

·
Registered
563 Posts
here in the UK i had my cd unit changed. the 6 stack one in my aero.. i booked it for 4 days later, and it was done then.. pretty good... shame its been to the same dealer 5 times for a creaky seat back that they still cant' fix!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Noticed difference in new unit

Now I had a 2003 6-disc in dash. Did they change/upgrade the unit to a different one now. Cause my cd player from day 1 used to make cranking/mechanism sounds when i would put in a cd that was quite loud/hearable. Now this new one they installed is completely silent, u hear nothing when u put a cd in or try to eject one... Maybe it's just me...

·
Registered
11 Posts
SwizzDrums said:
Now I had a 2003 6-disc in dash. Did they change/upgrade the unit to a different one now. Cause my cd player from day 1 used to make cranking/mechanism sounds when i would put in a cd that was quite loud/hearable. Now this new one they installed is completely silent, u hear nothing when u put a cd in or try to eject one... Maybe it's just me...
Mine has been broken as well. Got a new one within three days. The new indeed is completely silent. Much better than the original one.
:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear the new one is silent compared to the OEM. I will be getting mine this weekend. And yes, I do have the AUX-IN kit and cable (Thanks Etadyne!) along with a 15GB Dell MP3 player. Which is fine and all...but I like choices :). Must be why I have a JVC Sirius receiver hooked up as well! hehe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts