SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone had blueprints or demensions for a cat back.

although i have never fabricated an exhaust, i am a machinist.
i know it might be difficult, but i would be proud to do it myself

poking through my dads machine shop today i noticed he had a manderal bender, and we have a tig and mig welding machine

so if i had some blue prints, i figure i could fabricate my own out of stainless

tips?
advice?
blueprints?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not trying to rag on you or anything, but if you need blueprints to make a catback exhaust I doubt you'll be able to make one. Just measure the lengths and angles, it's very simple.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike W. said:
Not trying to rag on you or anything, but if you need blueprints to make a catback exhaust I doubt you'll be able to make one. Just measure the lengths and angles, it's very simple.
Well you silly *******, your wrong, I can make anything out of metal and I can weld well, but I almost always come with a game plan to get the best results.

I like blueprints, i can make them, i can read them.

I could measure it with a tape, but i much prefer precision.

I wouldnt put something on my car thats less than perfect. k?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
doorcheese said:
Well you silly *******, your wrong, I can make anything out of metal and I can weld well, but I almost always come with a game plan to get the best results.

I like blueprints, i can make them, i can read them.

I could measure it with a tape, but i much prefer precision.

I wouldnt put something on my car thats less than perfect. k?
Dude, it's none of my business, but he's right. The frame has an indent in it that the exhaust is supposed to follow, there is plenty of space. If you really are an amazing welder/ machinist, then you should be able to make your own blue prints and copy them. How do you think saab sport and genuine saab made their exhausts? They measured.

Furthermore, I doubt that companies like those mentioned above are going to be willing to just hand you their blue prints.

Don't over think a relatively simple project, especially if you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry for rudeness, but i cant stand being doubted :x

i guess my game plan is to
sketch out a print
bend some 3inch stainless steal tubing
weld it together
electro polish it (for fun)
weld on the muffler
take pictures
then attach it to the car

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Why not :

Drop the old muffler/downpipe.
Copy.
Take pictures.
Put on car.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
mike saunders said:
Why not :

Drop the old muffler/downpipe.
Copy.
Take pictures.
Put on car.
I was going to suggest removing the stock system and using it for your blueprint as well ;)

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats a great idea

would it be easyer to drop the whole exhaust dp and all or just detach from the cat?

·
Registered
771 Posts
is this like a serious conversation?

not to sound like to big of an ***, but like if your such the great fabricator, than why are you trying to get advice on this? or ask for blueprints lol, i don't think any exhaust company out there making saab exhaust systems has blueprints for them, they prop have set up jigs, but not blueprints lol, seriously theres more than alot of room in there, so just do it
not only that, i have many many machinist friends, alot of there job isn't reading things and making them, its more like making things, and then blue printing how to re-make them

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mfyoung said:
is this like a serious conversation?

not to sound like to big of an ***, but like if your such the great fabricator, than why are you trying to get advice on this? or ask for blueprints lol, i don't think any exhaust company out there making saab exhaust systems has blueprints for them, they prop have set up jigs, but not blueprints lol, seriously theres more than alot of room in there, so just do it
not only that, i have many many machinist friends, alot of there job isn't reading things and making them, its more like making things, and then blue printing how to re-make them

well actually i bet they do have blue prints, if there is a part number there is likely a blueprint to match
but honestly i was looking for the stock exhaust blueprint

some people have seduko
i have my blue prints

but whatever ill just make it myself and share with the rest of you, im just trying to make things easier for myself

with a print i can read it and know exactly how much stock i need to buy.
stainless steal is expensive nowadays

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I like how people say "Not to sound like an ***" then proceed to sound exactly like one :roll:. No reason for people to be condecending and I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish by making fun of someone wanting to do something the right way.

I think that a blueprint is a great idea and totally agree that having one would be convenient so that you could take your time and build it at your leasure rather than having to drop your exaust and fab it before you could drive your car again.

I can also guarantee you that Genuine Saab has a blueprint that they use before making a batch of exaust systems.

I would appreciate it if you would send me the blueprint that you make after you fab your's. I'm going to be making mine while traveling / working in nuke plants an won't have the car to refer to. I can probably get enough scrap stainless pipe from the pipefitters to make a nice setup.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Frank_Drebin said:
I like how people say "Not to sound like an ***" then proceed to sound exactly like one :roll:. No reason for people to be condecending and I'm not sure what they hope to accomplish by making fun of someone wanting to do something the right way.
Bingo... :nono;

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Frank_Drebin said:
I'm pretty sure people are saying that becuase he kinda snapped on Mike W and there was no reason for that. Nobody said that blue prints are un important, just that it wasn't a difficult job.

So I wasn't being an ***, I was just stating my opinion.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Frank_Drebin said:

I think that a blueprint is a great idea and totally agree that having one would be convenient so that you could take your time and build it at your leasure rather than having to drop your exaust and fab it before you could drive your car again.

I can also guarantee you that Genuine Saab has a blueprint that they use before making a batch of exaust systems.

I would appreciate it if you would send me the blueprint that you make after you fab your's. I'm going to be making mine while traveling / working in nuke plants an won't have the car to refer to. I can probably get enough scrap stainless pipe from the pipefitters to make a nice setup.
you sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar
i thank you
whats lake pipes tweek?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
I'm pretty sure people are saying that becuase he kinda snapped on Mike W and there was no reason for that. Nobody said that blue prints are un important, just that it wasn't a difficult job.

So I wasn't being an ***, I was just stating my opinion.
My comments were directed at MFYOUNG. I had no problems with what you said. You simply stated an opinion.

As for him snapping on Mike W, Mike W made a stupid ***** assumption, insulted the guys intelligence and accused him of being unable to make something simply because he preferred to know the dimensions that professional companies use. Look, this guy's a machinist and obviously a perfectionist. There's nothing wrong with that and definately not grounds for jumping on him to try to make him look stupid.

you sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar
i thank you
No worries. I can't stand when people try to make themselves look good by putting other people down. It's a sign of low self esteem and very unbecoming.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Frank_Drebin said:
My comments were directed at MFYOUNG. I had no problems with what you said. You simply stated an opinion.

As for him snapping on Mike W, Mike W made a stupid ***** assumption, insulted the guys intelligence and accused him of being unable to make something simply because he preferred to know the dimensions that professional companies use. Look, this guy's a machinist and obviously a perfectionist. There's nothing wrong with that and definately not grounds for jumping on him to try to make him look stupid.

No worries. I can't stand when people try to make themselves look good by putting other people down. It's a sign of low self esteem and very unbecoming.
I just thought for a project this small blueprints are very unnessacary, as far as company using blueprint, yeah i could see there being blueprints for the jigs they use to make the exhaust systems, and maybe some form of a 3-d rendering of the system

I'm not one to say whether he can do this or not, I'm simply saying try! IMO sometimes ppl think about whether or not they can do something, I mean hell maybe it doesn't fit right off the bat and you have to put more time into than you like, but maybe you should just do what i do, work on the car with friends, it never feels like time wasted when you do it that way lol, and as far as measuring for stainless just measure you stock system

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mfyoung said:
I just thought for a project this small blueprints are very unnessacary, as far as company using blueprint, yeah i could see there being blueprints for the jigs they use to make the exhaust systems, and maybe some form of a 3-d rendering of the system

I'm not one to say whether he can do this or not, I'm simply saying try! IMO sometimes ppl think about whether or not they can do something, I mean hell maybe it doesn't fit right off the bat and you have to put more time into than you like, but maybe you should just do what i do, work on the car with friends, it never feels like time wasted when you do it that way lol, and as far as measuring for stainless just measure you stock system
You have a wing on your saab. Enough said. :roll:

·
Registered
713 Posts
doorcheese said:
You have a wing on your saab. Enough said. :roll:
i hate to comment on this thread but tha was a b*tch move, its one thing to comment on what he has stated on the post, but do poke fun of another mans car that is of the same make and damn near model of the car that you are obvously trying to modify yourself to your own personal preferance is a b*tch move! sorry, il go on about my life now...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts