SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought myself intermediate pipe bcuz my flex pipe had a leak. Looked the part number from EPC. As i went down my car i saw a box right after intermediate pipe and before middle muffler. If i think right its like somekinda secondary catalytic converter? Question is that can i remove that secondary cat and replace it with pipe straight from intermediate pipe to middle muffler? Will i pass emission control? I still have first cat in place.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
U can do what ever u want after the last oxygen sensor in any car and u should be ok with emission

·
Registered
184 Posts
The cat in the front (under the turbo with the oxygen sensor after it ) uses a honeycomb structure of expensive, fancy precious metals to remove pollutants from the exhaust. Downstream from there are resonators / mufflers to reduce noise (and in some cases make slight changes to backpressure to optimize performance).

If you’re installing a inexpensive aftermarket exhaust don’t worry about the resonator too much. Just ensure that the exhaust doesn’t leak.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
There are some 93s with with secondary catalytic converter, non monitored as it doesnt have O2 sensor after it, that can go, its not the muffler/resonator .
usually non US cars, part number 55559585

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for bringin up old topic, but as i understand the second cat can go and it wont affect my emissions at the control?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You mean as it wont affect emissions, they may do a visual inspection that it is gone?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Most places are just looking for an illuminated check engine light.
If you’re worried you can save the old parts to reinstall in case you fail the visual inspection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts