SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my power goals are about stage 3
If i were to delete the center resonator and get a free flowing muffler still using the 2.25 in diamter would there be a big difference between that and the 2.5 in like a saab sport or remus

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
The biggest gains will be had from a 3" DP....

Removing the center resonator will do nothing for you. It's a straight-through design, as is the factory rear muffler. The gains come from added flow due to the larger size of the tubing.

Save the money that you spent on having someone cut the resonator out, and put it toward a DP.

So, no.

It wont be the same.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
i already have the 3in downpipe and race cat, but i feel that if i freed up the rest of the exhaust i would get better top end power so ill just suck it up and get a 2.5in exhaust

edit- i was hoping to save money by doing it myself, becasue i cant weld :(

·
Registered
134 Posts
kinda following the philosophy of "you're only as strong as your weakest link" it seems to me that a 3" DP into a 2.5" cat-back limits its potential. i would say just keep it 3" all the way back. most muffler shops could do it for you and its def. cheaper than any aftermarket company. i got quoted last summer for $300 installed for a cat-back. it's a good solution for those of us on a tight budget.;)

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
Palmer1980 said:
Removing the center resonator will do nothing for you. It's a straight-through design, as is the factory rear muffler. The gains come from added flow due to the larger size of the tubing.
The factory, Saab Sport, and even the Viggen Sport Exhaust tubing sizes are all the same, so removing the center muffler and/or replacing the rear muffler with a freer-flowing type is good for something.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Jeremy R. said:
The factory, Saab Sport, and even the Viggen Sport Exhaust tubing sizes are all the same, so removing the center muffler and/or replacing the rear muffler with a freer-flowing type is good for something.

Ok, the factory tubing is 60mm. That's 2.25 inches.

The upgrade stuff is 2.5". That's more MM, and therefore more flow.

Also, having held the factory resonator in my hands and peering through it, is just a perforated tube. Removing it does nothing but make the car sound sweet (er).

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
B204Life said:
kinda following the philosophy of "you're only as strong as your weakest link" it seems to me that a 3" DP into a 2.5" cat-back limits its potential. i would say just keep it 3" all the way back. most muffler shops could do it for you and its def. cheaper than any aftermarket company. i got quoted last summer for $300 installed for a cat-back. it's a good solution for those of us on a tight budget.;)
i figured the 3in would be excessive dont really want to wake the neighbors when i come home at night also the flex pipe is 2.5in so it doesnt really matter

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
You can get a 3" flexpipe cheap from summit.

3" piping wont make you car louder.

The low-restriction muffler you put on is what makes your car loud.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Palmer1980 said:
You can get a 3" flexpipe cheap from summit.

3" piping wont make you car louder.

The low-restriction muffler you put on is what makes your car loud.
i also forgot to add that the downpipe + cat goes from 3in to 2.5 in :cry:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
lowbudgethero said:
i also forgot to add that the downpipe + cat goes from 3in to 2.5 in :cry:
you can get everything you need in 3 inch no problem.

its already been said that removing a muffler does nothing.

get a saabsport, youll be happy.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
saabkid37 said:
you can get everything you need in 3 inch no problem.

its already been said that removing a muffler does nothing.

get a saabsport, youll be happy.
that not what i meant i have the genuinesaab downpipe which consists of a downpipe at 3in and goes to 2.5 in after the cat to fit to the factory flexpipe

i think im gonna get one custom made, any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
lowbudgethero said:
that not what i meant i have the genuinesaab downpipe which consists of a downpipe at 3in and goes to 2.5 in after the cat to fit to the factory flexpipe

i think im gonna get one custom made, any recommendations?
If you where really what your "handle name" says you are, you would go with what Palmer or B204Life said. This is the way to get more GO for less $!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
anyone know if flowmaster mufflers sound good on saabs?

i was thinking borla but they are just over 100 bucks and flowmasters are about half that

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
We just talked about this over on the C900 performance board!

The only Flowmaster I have heard was on a C900, so it sounded great to begin with.

But the flowmaster seemed to smooth out the tone a bit, and gave it a kinda neat echo when it was idling.

It sounded pretty damn sweet.

With a more equal legnth header like on the 9-3 I would imagine it sounds like a basic turbo 4.

I think the Flowmaster website has sound clips on it for the "sport compact" muffler they make. I can imagine that a saab would sound like one of those, but a bit quieter.

Here is what my old 9-3 sounded like with a 3"DP, 3" cat, no center muffler and this magnaflow muffler: (listen for the crackle when I let off the gas at 10-11 seconds :))

http://media.putfile.com/myhostingingloudsaab

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that sounds good, maybe ill get a resonator too though becasue thats a little too loud and will get me pulled over in my town

1 - 16 of 16 Posts