SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had paid for a custom porting of there throttle body pipe and if so how much did it cost, and if not what was the method of porting that was used

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
If you don't have a Dremel, it will cost you whatever a Dremel costs plus two or three grinding stones.

It takes maybe a half hour.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I used a file, the dremmel grinding tips I was using kept getting clogged cause the metal is so soft, anyone do it my way?

·
Premium Member
11,181 Posts
Or you can use a 1 to 1 and 1/2 inch sanding drum on your drill. That costs a lot less than buying a Dremel, and since the aluminum is soft, still will not take too much longer than 1/2 to 1 hour. Finish with 240 grit. You do not want a mirror finish in this casting.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
polishing the general profile has a minimal affect, to actual change the amount of airflow the open surface area must increase, this means throttle body bore out [with new butterfly/throttle] spindle waisting or ideally both.

I originally waisted a spindle down DIY, sorry the picture is poor but I ground away and made flat much of the throttle spindle and fitted neat little flush countersunk screws for optimum flow...

I've since then purchased a fully professionally bored out unit that increased max' open area by nearly 20% that also has a waisted spindle...

Note how neat and flush the screws are, attention to detail is the key here.

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
I hade my intake transition casting, and my turbo intake casting send out to Extrude Hone, cost was $70 for both parts, but they came out quite nicely.

Raggy, I have an extra TB sitting around, what more can you tell me about the company you had bore out your TB?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is it worth the effort then to bore it out unless it is professionally done. I understand that increasing anyair flow is always better but i would rather have it to its highest potential.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
This is one of those mods to do whan you've done everything else you possibly could, and it's a cold winter weekend and you're bored out of your mind.

Unless you're exploring other power options, leave this for last.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
That and indexing spark plugs :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts