SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few questions on changing the axle carrier bearing on the passenger side of an OG 9-3:

1) Does the carrier bearing need to be pressed into the alternator bracket with significant force? In the diagram below, I see retaining rings # 24 and #25. Is #25 in the transmission and # 24 holding in the carrier bearing? Does it still need to be pressed out after removing any retaining rings?

2) Does the carrier bearing itself have to be pressed off the axle shaft?

3) How hard is it to get the axle out of the transmission on that side? Stick a lever in somewhere and it just pops? Or some serious pulling in some cases with slide hammers, etc?

4) How much fluid comes out? A dribble? An ounce? A quart? Just wondering how big a pan I need to have below and how much fluid in stock before I start the job.

White Motor vehicle Font Line Auto part

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
New bearing is a simple press fit square into carrier. Use a vise or a drift and mallet to size.
Once snap rings are removed bearing should slide off shaft again pulled square. Maybe rusty. Clean shaft with 80/120 Emory cloth amd lightly grease to reassemble.
Axle pops out with a large forked lever between trans and shaft and a light tap

change axle seal in trans they are cheap freely available from aftermarket rock auto etc.

Make sure the dust boot for carrier bearing is clean and in place

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
You shouldn't need any tools to get the axle out of the transmission. There's no snap ring on that side, since the bracket holds the axle in place. Every time I've pulled the axle out, it slides out very easily.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You shouldn't need any tools to get the axle out of the transmission. There's no snap ring on that side, since the bracket holds the axle in place. Every time I've pulled the axle out, it slides out very easily.
That’s true there is no spring clip on the end of the shaft like the cv axles have. That said over time the splines can work into each other which is why I pop it out with a forked tool unless it falls out

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You can put the new bearing in the freezer over night and it will drop right into the carrier with your fingers. Metallurgy trick,

Reactions: BobSaabit
1 - 6 of 6 Posts