SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have had this annoying issue with my 9-3. My car will shake and shudder at any speed over bumps whether i am coasting or accelerating. It is soo annoying. It feels like my car is a POS. I thought it was a strut because it comes from the front of the car and resonated through the entire cabin but I think the strut is fine. I have not investigated that much because it blows my mind. lol. Can a bad engine mount cause this or is it something entirely different? I hate it!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
This sounds like a classic control arm bushings issue to me. Hard to diagnose but when i swapped mine it was night/day difference.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I crawl under the car and look at the bushings are they going to look worn out, or am I going to just have to replace it and see?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
So i have had this annoying issue with my 9-3. My car will shake and shudder at any speed over bumps whether i am coasting or accelerating. It is soo annoying. It feels like my car is a POS. I thought it was a strut because it comes from the front of the car and resonated through the entire cabin but I think the strut is fine. I have not investigated that much because it blows my mind. lol. Can a bad engine mount cause this or is it something entirely different? I hate it!
A full chassis inspection service is in order. Components must be looked at and tested.
Anything else is simply guessing.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My friend Earthworm always gives excellent, yet conservative advice. Listen to what he says and you will do well. I mention the Control Arm bushings only as anecdotal troubleshooting assistance. In truth, any number of things could be wrong. I would look at all of the bushings ans well as the steering rack.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you get the wheels off the ground then get under with a big bar and prise the various components against (e.g) the wishbone you MAY be able to spot movement in the various bushes and track rod ends. Dont prise against anything damageable though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK. I will have the whole deally inspected. It is so disapointing to have a car feel like this.:cry:

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you get the wheels off the ground then get under with a big bar and prise the various components against (e.g) the wishbone you MAY be able to spot movement in the various bushes and track rod ends. Dont prise against anything damageable though.
Great advice! I'm reminded of a few episodes of Wheeler Dealers (BBC) where big Ed China prys on a few suspension bits while the car is supended from a rack (letting the sprung parts hang with no car weight on them) and you can see the movement. Should be able just to jack up both sides and let the wheels hang. A simple yet effective bit of DIY diagnosing.

Please let us know how it goes 'rvis'!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had similar simptoms, it was the upper strut mounts on mine,

the "techs" checking the chassis with the pry bar were really clueless, I hope you'll have better luck. They found nothing wrong until me myself manually popped the plastic retaining caps on the strut towers and found lots of shredded rubber inside :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts