SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know any interchange details on carpet for 900's - specifically, what would fit into a convertible?

I'm in the process of replacing my vert's ratty interior, and am on the prowl for a junkyard replacement set. I hear tell of some 2-doors that are an hour or two away and might have decent carpet... but before I make the trek, I'd be interested to hear if anyone has attempted this before me.

--Keith

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
nothing, basically. as the convertible is unique in its floor layout re carpet, you might be able to 'cut/shape/join' one from a two/3 door starting from centre out and into footwell etc but as you approach the doors thew cill arrangement is different(higher for strength=no solid roof) and the back seating is raised up different to the 2/3 dr,
I believe new replacement carpets are not available anymore but a good car trimmer would probably be able tomake/ sew you a set up, as originals were 'moulded' as I have a spare set from one I broke and it would take some work to make them but you either put some new stuff in as best as possible or get someone to make some, unless you can find a scrap vert with a good carpet

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
nothing, basically. as the convertible is unique in its floor layout re carpet, you might be able to 'cut/shape/join' one from a two/3 door starting from centre out and into footwell etc but as you approach the doors thew cill arrangement is different(higher for strength=no solid roof) and the back seating is raised up different to the 2/3 dr,
I believe new replacement carpets are not available anymore but a good car trimmer would probably be able tomake/ sew you a set up, as originals were 'moulded' as I have a spare set from one I broke and it would take some work to make them but you either put some new stuff in as best as possible or get someone to make some, unless you can find a scrap vert with a good carpet
You can buy carpet redye kits, a lot of people have great sucess taking their carpet to a DIY car wash and scrubbing it with the foaming brush then hosing it off. Then redyeing it if the colour has gone.

There's a thread around here somewhere, the results are impressive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would probably work, if it wasn't mouse-chewed and moldy :eek:

The car in question was in great shape, low miles and all, before being stored improperly for several years. The interior was totally shot. I ended up scraping the carpet and padding out of it, then wire-wheeling the beejezus out of the floor and repainting it (along with welding a few small holes shut). Rather sad, considering the car was otherwise rust free - and this is Minnesota, where most cars of this age have long since rusted into the dirt.

I found some replacement seats, and refurbed the door cards and console, but still have no carpet. Would rather find some than have to get creative (cutting flat carpet to fit, coating it with spray-on bedliner paint,...?).

I've seen carpet kits for sale online, but I'm hesitant to spend more on floor-coverings than I did on the car itself ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would probably work, if it wasn't mouse-chewed and moldy :eek:

The car in question was in great shape, low miles and all, before being stored improperly for several years. The interior was totally shot. I ended up scraping the carpet and padding out of it, then wire-wheeling the beejezus out of the floor and repainting it (along with welding a few small holes shut). Rather sad, considering the car was otherwise rust free - and this is Minnesota, where most cars of this age have long since rusted into the dirt.

I found some replacement seats, and refurbed the door cards and console, but still have no carpet. Would rather find some than have to get creative (cutting flat carpet to fit, coating it with spray-on bedliner paint,...?).

I've seen carpet kits for sale online, but I'm hesitant to spend more on floor-coverings than I did on the car itself.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 1990 convertable and am looking for carpets for my car also.I replaced my stock carpet with a sew up kit a couple of years ago and am not happy with the fit.Even after spending many hours of fitting and trimming it still came out looking like the floor was covered with a blanket,I never got all the wrinkles out.What I have found so far is after at least 1992(maybe 91,I havent seen one yet) the sill design changed and they went to a one piece carpet,also the tunnel the exhaust is in became wider in the back seat area.Hopefully one of these days I'll come across a carpet set worth saving,I'm going to try the clean and dye route,my old carpets were too worn and torn to save.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
It is a problem for every single c900 Owner ...either now or potentially . There are many here that from there demonstrated efforts to date have aspirations to keep these cars alive for many a long year to come ... and I have no doubt with the passage of more time they will become an absolute classic?collectable .. Look at the passion on this site ...

I agree that a lot can be done with Pressure washing and Dye , but you cant turn a 50 year old into a teenager with a hair Rinse and anti wrinkle cream .. (No I haven't tried . hair dye does little on my hair color .. often referred to as SKIN color ) and the anti wrinkle cream isnt sold in 44 gallon drums ....

SO >>>> smart collective minds of SC ...surely we can find a manufacturer of moulded carpets that can work off a template of various floor pans ?

Anyone with contacts in that area ? As a group buy ... the demand would have to be significant ... I once approached a manufacturer in my part of the world , but he had no interest based on demand ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts