SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
nice work! i just order some 3m carbon fiber to do the door handle just like yours:p

plus im planing to do the 2 mirror older...carbon is cooler than rust...!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey man that looks nice, I was thinking about that myself..Now I might be a newbie when it comes to stuff like this, so can you tell us step by step what you did, is it just a sticker no tools required? Where did you order the carbon fiber from? how long was the sheet? how much? I think that will do it for now. Thanks for your response. [email protected]

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
It's like my neighbor kid with his ricer little Mazda 4 door 125hp with a fart can exhaust. He's a nice kid and I like him and "it keeps him off the streets" so he puts on the interior pack with the eye level vertical gauges and then come these little "shark fin" thingies and then the black rims and stuff. Now, I have to tease him a bit so I pull up in the Corvette ... he finally has me by the sneakers ... what are those little shark fin thingies?:confused:

"To improve the laminar flow across the rear deck" .......... :cheesy:

I like the carbon and even looked at the Hirsch catalog (how come here in the US we can't get the good stuff?) ... and then the price. When you do it yourself ... cool ... but to pay the bucks and then have to pay "the man" to put it on I've gotta to ask the big "why". Screw! A few weeks ago I went on the site ... a discount ball cap and a few "Swedish Air Force" decals cost me $60 with shipping from GB. So .... I should have got the Hirsch carbon trim and all I got is a dumb hat and stupid decal. Guess I can't name the site. Not complaining but the postage from the UK .. wow!

Have fun when you are young cause you get older and your eyes get bad, patience gets worse and your hands shake a bit.

Is that really what those little shark fins are for? ;oops:

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's like my neighbor kid with his ricer little Mazda 4 door 125hp with a fart can exhaust. He's a nice kid and I like him and "it keeps him off the streets" so he puts on the interior pack with the eye level vertical gauges and then come these little "shark fin" thingies and then the black rims and stuff. Now, I have to tease him a bit so I pull up in the Corvette ... he finally has me by the sneakers ... what are those little shark fin thingies?:confused:

"To improve the laminar flow across the rear deck" .......... :cheesy:

I like the carbon and even looked at the Hirsch catalog (how come here in the US we can't get the good stuff?) ... and then the price. When you do it yourself ... cool ... but to pay the bucks and then have to pay "the man" to put it on I've gotta to ask the big "why". Screw! A few weeks ago I went on the site ... a discount ball cap and a few "Swedish Air Force" decals cost me $60 with shipping from GB. So .... I should have got the Hirsch carbon trim and all I got is a dumb hat and stupid decal. Guess I can't name the site. Not complaining but the postage from the UK .. wow!

Have fun when you are young cause you get older and your eyes get bad, patience gets worse and your hands shake a bit.

Is that really what those little shark fins are for? ;oops:
yup vortex creator...very litle use on a plane...imagine on a car...

·
Registered
415 Posts
wondering how much of the carbon 3m did you buy to cover the exterior pieces by the windows?

·
Registered
415 Posts
the whole point of carbon fiber it to cut weight - but to just stick it on top of **** actually adds weight. not much, of course...

well unless one wants to pay over $200 i'm guessing this is the route. One of my past cars i did a lot of carbon fiber and of course it adds up. But for $75 i think this is a little pricey :roll: Maybe it's just me

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
The carbon looks cool and is on the used on the limited edition Turbo X. It's so cool that one guy who was selling .... oh man you gotta watch your back ... this guy had it recently on E-Bay and my eyes bugged. It appeared or seemed he was selling an 08 Turbo X Combi and in a sneaky way referenced the carbon details but then described the brushed aluminum. I said .. hell that has to be the real deal because the only one that has (as far as I know) .. carbon trim is the Turbo X. Price was great and I was ready to go over and hit the "Buy it now" .... but I looked again at the pics of the car and the wheels were wrong. The "X" uses those kind of asymmetric (to my eye), wheels and the ad had the Aero. The guy got an A- in creative writing. I had to read that thing like 4 times to make sure I wasn't going nuts. Too good to be true and it probably is.

What pizzed me off was using the carbon to almost "prove" the car was a real "X car" ... I'm no purist and have nothing against "Tribute Cars" ... but, but, but, ... I guess I'm still PO'd. :x

·
Registered
119 Posts
yup vortex creator...very litle use on a plane...imagine on a car...
The statement in reference to aircraft is 100% incorrect. They are called Vortex Generators and they are a huge help on aircraft. They reduce the stall speed of the aircraft by anywhere from 8-16%, create better control-ability at slow speeds, reduce the take off roll, and for some aircraft add a gross weight increase of anywhere from 80-250lbs. The company I work for has been making VG's for private aircraft for 21 years and Boeing has been using them for well over 50 years.

As for using them on cars... We've sold VG's to several well known racing teams (think: BMW, Mercedes, etc...) whether or not they work very well in that application, I can't answer. Never really have done a follow up with any of the teams we've sold to.

Sorry for the hijack, I just hate when people comment about things they know very little about.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The statement in reference to aircraft is 100% incorrect. They are called Vortex Generators and they are a huge help on aircraft. They reduce the stall speed of the aircraft by anywhere from 8-16%, create better control-ability at slow speeds, reduce the take off roll, and for some aircraft add a gross weight increase of anywhere from 80-250lbs. The company I work for has been making VG's for private aircraft for 21 years and Boeing has been using them for well over 50 years.

As for using them on cars... We've sold VG's to several well known racing teams (think: BMW, Mercedes, etc...) whether or not they work very well in that application, I can't answer. Never really have done a follow up with any of the teams we've sold to.

Sorry for the hijack, I just hate when people comment about things they know very little about.
Lol, that would have no application on a Mazda 3. Is this the first time you guys have seen ricers do stupid/pointless modifications to their car? I saw a Honda Civic with a spoiler that looked like it was off of an Evo 9! Only thing you can really do is just stare.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
love the rear diffuser, but I think the other panels would have to grow on me.

Good work though.

would it be possible to get a full shot of the rear insert?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Trollspeed,

How is the carbon foil holding up to the heat from the exhaust? I've worked with putting some in my interior, and my heatgun melts this stuff out of shape really fast. Has it distorted any? Did you coat it with anything? I'm wondering how well it will stand up to the elements, especially from the heat from the exaust. Also, how well is it standing up on the front lip to knicks and dings from gravel, sticks, etc.?

And, as previously asked by JLazop3, how does it hold up to washings?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Trollspeed,

How is the carbon foil holding up to the heat from the exhaust? I've worked with putting some in my interior, and my heatgun melts this stuff out of shape really fast. Has it distorted any? Did you coat it with anything? I'm wondering how well it will stand up to the elements, especially from the heat from the exaust. Also, how well is it standing up on the front lip to knicks and dings from gravel, sticks, etc.?

And, as previously asked by JLazop3, how does it hold up to washings?
No problem with the exhaust temp, it's stick on the plastic really well.
You just have to clean the place where you want to put it very well,
I juice brakecleaner to clean the surface (also sprayed my hands in with it!) and then put the folie with a hairdryer on it. Don't make the folie to hot, you have to learn work with it... you can even stretch the folie in difficult places don't be afraid just try it you will see that it work. It can take a lot off temp if it's done right.

EJ

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Great work, nice individual touches there!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Chris! The work is just in progress, brakes, exhaust, bigger Turbo etc this will be the hottest 9-3 2.8T in RED;)
So is your Godfather under the Black 9-5's:D

EJ

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Trollspeed, did you remove the rear valance to do this? It looks great and I also like the front valance lip piece great idea! If you removed the rear valance any insights you want to pass on?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts