SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that would grab your attention!! Lol

I'm a fab/composite tech. I build all kings of cool stuff from cool materials.

I really hate the look of the factory cobra. It just looks like crap. I thought about the king cobra but still... Just not my cup of tea. I'm thinking about Making a mold to create a carbon fiber cobra. I know temps are an issue so that's why I'm here. Is it possible you guys could help me with this?? I need to find out how hot the area closest to the turbo gets so I can figure out what kind of ressin it will need to be made from. I'm figuring phenolic but the stuff I have on hand is only good to about 200F. I can get higher temp stuff and can get up into the 500F range but that gets pricy. Im trying to go with scraps and stuff that's on hand. I have some Honda "friends" I need to piss of so I want this by September. I'm planning LOTS of carbon bits!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should probably add that my car is just about stock. I have only had it about a week. I'm looking for temps from a more modded car that would work the turbo a little more.... Build more heat. I know a more open exhaust and charge air lines will reduce temps but I want to be sure. I can get temps from my turbo this weekend when it's going to be warmer.

Who knows... If I get the tooling and layup right, there might be a few on eBay.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
If it looks good, works great and priced right I may buy one...eventually. still havnt brought my exhaust or tune yet. darn bills never stop piling up

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ +1

I'm doing my girlfriends kitchen, building a truck and starting my part time fab shop. I can't afford anything for my Saab. I'm trying to make everything from scratch. My goal is to pull into a carshow later this year with a stock looking Saab and pop the hood and have stainless header/exhaust, all ducting pre-turbo made from carbon, all charge air lines alum and every other cover and fuse box made from carbon. I'm having friends call different material companies to get as many different samples as posable. I want to do this on the cheep!! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Cobra

id like to see how this turns out, maybe it could flow a little better than stock?

if your looking for cooler temps, maybe a CF fan shrowed? i heard(havent proved) that if you Install a FMIC, remove the stock IC and push radi forward you have a solid 2 inches to play with.
Hot Rod method- a better fan shrowed to direct and intensify air into bay
race car method- big electic highpower fan
daily driven swedish method- holset HX45 :eek:

maybe even a CF chin spoiler to direct more air into engine? i feel that there are other parts of the car that can be modified for better temps that would have a bigger effect than a corba.

my vote a murdered out CF engine bay would look bad *** IMO :cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking about trying a lip too. That would be hard to do though. The plan so far is to do the HD lip with the foam rubber garage door seal and injecting it with a very thin resin that would soak into the foam and the trying to lay up right on the foam. It would be really hard to make it look good.

The main reason for doing the cobra is to just get rid of the ugly thing. I make a lot of ducts and vents for different helicopters and it would just be a fun/challenging thing to try. Plus at this point it's the most restrictive part of the intake.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yea.. I was inquiring about teps because CF needs to be cured in a resin. Not all resins can take very much heat. A cobra pipe made from walmart polyester resin would get soft from the heatsoak and end up collapsing unto the vacuum created by the turbo and get sucked in. Not good. And I have seen it happen in the early days of import dragracing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'd be down for a high-flow, affordable, CF cobra pipe!

Am I smelling a potential group-buy here?;ol;

·
Registered
59 Posts
sounds sweet!!! as long as it can meet the same specs of the GS intake pipe that alot of us already have ;ol; and it will look twice as good! :cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I asked engineering at work a few questions about the temps that it would be subject to down at the turbo and they think it would be best to have the botom bit that atatches to the turbo be alum and then s silicon isolator to help keep heat out of the carbon. It's the way they do it in all the fancy high end stuff. This might be a bit more pricy than originally thought. First I need to get my car running.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
You may also wish to consider that the heat transfer around the ring between the bottom with the carbon and the aluminum could be an issue, as the aluminum will expand and contract with the unavoidable internal temp changes - which could be a potential weak spot near the fitting. Also, carbon fiber is very absorbent of heat and is not suitable material for high heat environments (and is not able to hold pressurized hot air reliably).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It wouldn't see any pressure to wory about. I'm working on all the pre turbo lines. The charge air (after turbo) lines are best done with alum. The resins we are looking into would make up for the heat issue. I'm looking into a tooling resin that has an alum pouder in it to help with heat transfer. The computers are telling us that the heat transfer would be a good deal less with a 3ply .030-.035" thick carbon cobra over stock. I am also playing with the idea of having an alum elbo at the turbo and then a silicone sleeve then the carbon up top. It would have a big advantage in air volume available to the turbo inlet over all other available cobras.

I got my boss on board this pet project so I might be able to draft and CNC the tooling to make this work. It would be a lot more affordable if the boss let's me do this on downtime with company materials.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
It would have a big advantage in air volume available to the turbo inlet over all other available cobras.
Not knocking you, but I don't see any way you'd be able to fit anything larger than the 06+ king cobra pipe. I had to take of the bolts off of my WG actuator to make it fit. The clearance is extremely tight in there, even with the milled back compressor housing. That is the knock on the GS cobra; while it looks great, it has essentially the same inlet elbow into the turbo, meaning only a very minute, if any increase in airflow.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
True. It is very tight down there but the turbo will only take as much air as it wants. The inlet of the turbo is only so big and going massively larger will offer no gains. I think the advantage I can create is beter flow. Not air volume. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. Just try something new. I may end up tiging up a manifold and downpipe to move the turbo over 1.5-2" to make even more room. We will see.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I may end up tiging up a manifold and downpipe to move the turbo over 1.5-2" to make even more room. We will see.
But then you get into moving oil and coolant lines and what not, at which point you are probably not realistically going to be running a TD04...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts