SaabCentral Forums banner

141 - 151 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Thanks I guess?

Finally got my modified door panels back from the upholstery shop, so I got to work on that yesterday:

I installed some Noico sound deadening material. It's like Dynamat, but not quite as good and less than half the price. It's adhesive butyl rubber with an aluminum structure/thermal barrier. I've never used it before, but it's widely favorably reviewed. 80mil thickness, so not a lot of bulk, and .7lbs per square per sq ft, so not a huge amount of weight.

I found it very easy to apply using a utility knife and rollers... the diamond pattern helps the foil "expand" to follow the door surface. It's pretty sticky, but if you install with a light touch you can somewhat reposition it if necessary. Once it's been rolled down and left in place for a few minutes, it's a bit tougher to get off.

My goal here was some sound deadening and "some" thermal, but really the motivation was a vapor barrier since the plastic sheet the '85s came with wasn't durable and mine was has been AWOL since I got the car 10 years ago. Hopefully this stuff does the job!

With that done, new door panels went on:

Got a tiny amount of wiring to do today, then finally I should have a complete, reasonably good audio system!

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
There is probably an infinite number of things left to do but, you know, it's getting there....

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Hopefully I'm calling it quits with this car for a little bit while I decide what happens next. I need to replace the headliner - it's ugly and beginning to fall - and I need to take the dash apart finish building the instrument cluster and come up with some solution to c900 cracked dashboard syndrome. Oh, and I want to have the back seat recovered to match the fronts. So, three things til I consider my part done and I have to suck it up and turn it over to someone for a repaint.

So, headliner, dash and seats. Not a huge list!

As long as nothing broken happens, though, it's gonna stay like this til summer. Right now I'm going through my XR4Ti... everything behind the engine is getting replace... transmission, driveshaft, diff, axles, rear brakes. So much. Argh.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
After thinking I beat the stumbling issue last month, it came to pass that I Did Not. It came back. :( I unplugged the BCS and tried driving around with base boost, but the problem persisted. All the metrics coming off in-car gauges were fine, so I added an OBDII data monitor to see other info, and that looked good too.

One day while collecting info, things got REALLY bad. Sudden total loss of power, followed by running on less than four cylinders and other mayhem. I was just leaving the house, so I turned around to go back. About 1/2 mile away, the running cleared up and everything went back to normal. Good even. No more stumbling or hesitation - just awesome, smooth power. It's like something stuck had become unstuck!

It's been great for three weeks now, but it got me thinking maybe I had a clogged injector or something.. something that was preventing good fuel flow, but finally got cleaned out. I decided to send my spare sets off to InjectorRx for inspection and cleaning, and here's what they found:

I guess "average" for used junkyard injectors?

I had them package one set for long-term storage, but I will go ahead and install the other set in the car. It'll be interesting to see if there's any change in performance.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Car has been running great on the new injectors - no real improvement vs. the old injectors, but either way the oddball stuttering behavior has not returned so that's great news.

What's not great news is that about two weeks ago I heard something hit the car but saw no damage on the windshield. Whatever it was hit hard, because it was LOUD and - I'm not joking - the car immediately lost all boost. I was less than a mile from work so I continued on, and when I got there I found this:

Fuuuuuuuu. LHD H4 headlights are unobtanium for these cars. I took a deep breath and then went to figure out why base boost. Turns out the wastegate actuator rod came off the swing valve, so whatever broke the headlight hit hard enough to knock the e-clip off. Right? Seems plausible.

Over that weekend I found a couple (literally two) options for replacement headlight glass - options were $200 used or $450 new for the glass. Only the glass. YIKES.

ATP Turbo had replacement e-clips, but at $2ea plus a couple dollars shipping I was also like YIKES. Then I learned these particular clips are called Poodle Rings (LOL?), and these are a great fit for T3-frame turbos:

$6 for 10? Sign me up.

I opted to do nothing about the headlight. I had previously applied protective film, and it was holding the glass together adequately, so I decided to not spend hundreds of dollars but look into other options. The car only goes a couple hundred miles a month anyway, and it's summer (long days...) so I probably won't need a headlight for months. More on that at some future time.

Anywho, yesterday evening while doing nothing in particular I checked Pick & Pull's website and saw this:

Well, not H4 headlights, but if I had to fall back to sealed beam for a while that could be workable. Since "auto parts" is a loosely defined "essential service" and saved from lockdown, I figured I'd risk personal health and head over there today.

SOMEBODY HAD ALREADY GOTTEN TO THE BLOODY TRIM!!!

Clearly, somebody loved this car - 284,000 miles and some Saab-appropriate mods:

I didn't have any tools - this was a scouting mission during lunch. So I scouted. And what's sitting in the trunk?

Holy crap, jackpot. And no tools required.

I may go back tomorrow - I don't need anything else per se, but I might grab that SPG trim (red paint notwithstanding) and a couple other hard to find parts. Nothing I need, but maybe something someone else can use. If it had fewer miles I would take the engine for the '86 base model, but I'm not putting in any effort for such an old motor. Too bad, though.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I did end up going back - I couldn't stand the thought of some of those parts getting crushed, so I bought them. I'll throw them on the Classifieds at some point. The distributor was mostly intact - someone had removed the vacuum capsule, but the electrical connector looks perfect, a rare find.

One thing I hadn't noticed on my first pass is someone replaced the sealed beam headlamps with some of these:

Nice thing to have around for when I get the '86 running. :

141 - 151 of 151 Posts