SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you are aware of the issues I've been having with my car as of late. Well I went out to get gas and lunch today only to have my car not start up again when I was done filling up. I'm thinking "ARGH!!!!, WTF is wrong with this gm piece of junk?!?!!?" After much cranking and a long string of obsenities I got a jump from someone, but that didn't do the trick like it did before. So the battery isn't the problem. I thank the person kindly for their help, sit there puzzled as to why my car won't start. I turn the key off and then on again and I can hear the fuel pump going so that can't be it. The attendant helps me push the car off to the side of the building and I decide to go have lunch since it's gonna be a least an hour before someone can give me a ride. After lunch I go back to my car and it starts without any issue whatsoever. I'm thinking my DI cassette is on it's way out. Does that sound right? Could it be something else?

X

·
0 Posts
Raven, we have had a few members with starting problems recently(would be worth a search in the forum). It could be DI and or plugs, is your car up to date with servicing? Maybe also a failing Crank Position Sensor has been known to cause starting issues..

Finn :confused:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ARGH!!!! Don't tell me that, I want a definative answer, crap. It had it's 60K mile service at the saab dealership just before I got it. Guess I'll check the plugs, just to be sure, but I really don't think that has anything to do with it. I'm tempted to replace the DI cassette first because even if it's not it, it will go eventually and it'll be nice to have a spare when that happens.

Crank position sensor? Where that thing located?

X

·
0 Posts
Raven18940 said:
ARGH!!!! Don't tell me that, I want a definative answer, crap. It had it's 60K mile service at the saab dealership just before I got it. Guess I'll check the plugs, just to be sure, but I really don't think that has anything to do with it. I'm tempted to replace the DI cassette first because even if it's not it, it will go eventually and it'll be nice to have a spare when that happens.

Crank position sensor? Where that thing located?
Wish I could give definative answers I could make a fortune :D
Here is a link about stalling problems. Chris 9-5 gives a description and location in the thread. he has also suggested cleaning the electrical contacts of the CPS.

CLICK HERE

Finn :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
the syptoms you describe sound pretty similar to the exact same problem i had a few months back and it turnd out to be a cracked crankshaft sensor

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmmm, guess I'm gonna be pulling the crankshaft sensor. The up side is that the car hasn't stalled once nor is it having any issues once running. I'll be back in a little bit. :roll:

X

·
0 Posts
Sorry Bud never had to do them yet :confused: I think Chris might have played around with the CPS.. ;) Give him a PM he is around ..

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AH HA! I figured them out, just need a screwdriver to un snap them. The best clip design I've ever seen really. Anyway, through unclipping the TB, CPS, and DI I've eliminated the TB from the possibilites. The car would start been then ran like crap so that's not my problem.

So now the big question: How does a car act when I DI cassette is going bad, does it do things like stall and misfire?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nickliv said:
Just what you want isn't it? A car that mends itself?:cheesy:
Yeah, if only it would stop reinjuring itself I'd be set. :p

So I yanked the CPS, that was a pain. Here's a pic. Other than an ever to slight....I don't really want to call it a crack, but it's more than a scratch...the sensor looks fine as far as I can tell. It wasn't dirty when I pulled it out either, just a slight coating of oil. I'm gonna assume it's bad and just replace it, it's $55.44 new from the saab dealership and I have to go out that way anyhow. The second pic is where the cps came from, the half of a hole on the far left of the frame. It's so tight I could barely get the camera in there. :p

Attachments

X

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the pics Raven, lets hope the CPS is the problem. I see you have some rust around the hole, make sure no bits fall in the hole :confused:

Finn :)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
For $55 its well worth changing it, over here they are about $135 :eek:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the new sensor is in, and I thought it was hard getting it out, silly me. :p

It's odd, I could tell right away the engine was running differently, not worse or better, just different. I the engine seemed to bog a little if I went WOT from idle and generally seemed just a little bit rougher. And then later the check engine light came on, whe I pulled the engine down to 700 rpms. And now after some driving around things seemed to have smoothed out. I guess the sensor needed to break in or something like that. I disconnected the battery to reset the check engine light and hopefully it'll stay out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts