SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i tried starting the car and only hear a click (like a loud relay switch) but no starter noise
i can hear what I believe to be the fuel pump pressurizing ok

--FYI -- my car is jacked up on one side at the moment, as i'm replacing a flat tire and waiting for the tire to be replaced --- is this causing the computer to think it's stolen? or another issue

·
Registered
9,087 Posts
What year is it.. ,'03 or '04 ?

Your battery needs changing. As simple as that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'03, still get lights
but here's the thing, i need to back it out of the garage to get a boost
but i can't get it out of park!
??

·
Registered
51 Posts
My battery died about a month ago and I was still getting all lights coming on but the car would just not turn over... just a click. I was really confused at first but it turns out it was a dead battery.

Anyways, you should be able to press the break pedal and then put the car in neutral.

Hope it works.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
If the battery is the original in a 2003 just buy a new battery.
Otherwise hook up a charger for a few hours.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i got it out of the driveway

there's a yellow leaver under the shifter cover that allows you to manually change the gears

got it on my driveway and now getting boosted by our Santa Fe
i'm gonna leave them connected for a while before i take the cables off

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got a battery trickly charger hooked up and I'm going to leave it on there until tomorrow morning

the battery is AC Delco and came with the car when i bought it used this summer
i'm guessing it is not the original

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Nah, thats not OEM, maybe you just left something on, even an interior light or maybe they just used a less exspensive model/grade battery when they replaced it..all battery's are not created equal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Either it is dead battery or faulty starter- loud click you hear is starter solenoid which tries to connect starter motor to battery and fails by some reason.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
what a day

removed the car charger this morning and the car started great
drove about 50% of the way to work and it died on me (first saw TCS failure, then radio died out, then lights dimmed)

had to wait almost 2 hours for a tow - car started with a boost but died after removing the cables
-->>alternator<<--

I dropped it off at the mercy of the SAAB dealership (I'm outta warranty)

anybody can give me a guesstimate on the price of an alternator and installation?

EDIT: also how hard is it to replace the alternator myself?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Car that stalls when jumper cables removed is not necessarily a bad alternator, could be a weak battery that isn't taking a charge.

The only way I could diagnose those symptoms as an alternator failure is if I don't see at least 13.4 volts with a tested good fully-charged battery connected with the engine running.

The alternator, if it really is the problem, looks to be pretty easy to replace.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Teck_II said:
Also when mine was dead it would not jump.
reread quote

Theory being from what I heard is that if a cell is dead the whole things is bad.

Could of made life alot easier on yourself by going to get a battery, or at least pulling yours to get it tested to eliminate that.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Once you eliminate that it's a bad battery, or confirm it's the alternator,,,

A new Alt here in the Ststes is just under 300, but don't be afraid to get a rebuilt,,,back in the 900 day I kept em alive with quality rebuilt..from Alt's to Steering racks. Even get used from www.goldwingsaab or similar.

But I'm still thinking a cheapo battery is the cause.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Okay this is going to sound totally random...

The hood sensor right next to the positive side of the battery? Make sure it's not touching.

I seem to get every random, stupid problem.

Anyways, one day my car died after being gone for a few hours with my buddies. We all get back and everyone is going to motorcade somewhere, yay, frost's car won't start. After hours, checking all the fuses, replacing main relays, charging the battery (which ran for a few minutes until it died again) There are like 5 people standing around the hood of my car and a friend pushes on the hood switch and the car makes a click. So, in astonishment, we bend the hood sensor back a little and the car starts fine.

The hood sensor was grounding out the positive side of the battery. At least i'm here to provide the off the wall solutions to random problems.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
saab dealership is telling me both the battery and alternator are fried
$800+ for the repair (and thats with a rebuilt alternator)

man this hurts

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
djh said:
EDIT: also how hard is it to replace the alternator myself?
Your story sounds like a car running off the battery, but not charging.

You probably could have save yourself a bit of aggravation by picking up a cheap voltmeter at the autoparts store and checking the voltage both with the car off an running. This does not require disassembly beyond pulling back the plastic battery cover.

I suspect the dealer is now going to try to take you for both and alternator and a new battery. Perhaps a voltage regulator too. And it's hard to know the real problem here without better data. But from a service tech's point of view, he can cover 99.9% of charging probems by replacing the three main components.

BTW, Saab's may incoporate the regulator into the alternator. Haven't had to look into this yet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i checked with a voltmeter:
while the car was being boosted: 12.8V across the terminals
removed the jumper cables: 6.1V ---then car slowly died

i don't have a reading for the car battery resting voltage

1 - 20 of 27 Posts