SaabCentral Forums banner

Car won't turn over after driving

441 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Mimmi
2007 9-3 Aero 6-sp 97K - new battery

Every once in awhile since I owned this car, it won't turn over at all, I reinsert fob, and it works after 2-3 attempts. My mechanic actually thought it was my battery, but saw some an error code related to my starter controls (?) and told me that if this happens again, try jiggling something behind the battery compartment (pictures attached). I replaced the battery 3 months ago.

Yesterday, after a short 5 minute drive to grocery store, the car wouldn't turn over at all. I had forgotten what the mechanic had said. All the lights and everything, and SID said Starting, but not a sound. 15 minutes later waiting for kid to pick me up, I tried again and it started right up.

Same thing today. I immediately opened hood and knocked on this unit, and the car immediately started. It says Electronic Control Unit, but when I google, I can only find an ECU that is on the engine block.

Can someone tell me what is in my pictures, and potentially why jiggling/bumping it may fix it, temporarily. The white zip tie is replacing a brittle unit with a zip tie that broke.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Nut Automotive exterior
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where you found that false information?
93196758 and 93185677 are in stock at ORIO.
My Saab mechanic here in LA (swedeshop) uses XeMODeX to try and repair these units. Every website I have searched says these parts are discontinued. My question is, can a semi-talented lay person easily remove this part, ship away, and reinstall? They say no tech-2 needed as no codes are reset. dreaming of fixing over holidays while out of town, but can’t deal with a broken car when I return and needing professional assistance. Is removing and reinstalling ABS ECU easy.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, your local SALESMAN told you lies so he can sell you some stuff.

I can order NEW ORIGINAL part from ORIO and ship it to you.

I have no idea what the price is, but on ORIO, at least in my browser, when you locate the correct ABS controller, there is a button to add to cart, as no price is displayed, and it is a non-functioning link, although other items I checked could be added to cart.

Regardless, I have decided to go the repair route, as I really do trust my longtime SAAB mechanic and I got an opinion from him, and I am going to try and fix. I have reviewed the WIS instructions numerous times (thank you) and feel confident only to the point of pulling this apart to make the car inoperable but with no mention of the ratchet size required to remove the 4 bolts holding the controller to the base unit. To make sure I am prepared at that moment, do you know where I can go to get that level of detail?

· Registered
15,461 Posts
ORIO site is for dealers only.
You can see prices and availability if you are dealer and you have logged in to ORIO site.

So your "Saab" mechanic is not certified at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts