SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove my car Friday night, all was fine. Tonight I went to get something out of it and noticed the interior lights didn't come on when I opened the door. So I tried starting the car and nothing.

The dash lights slowly and dimly came on. I tried turning on the head lights and they slowly came on, very dim as well. The interior lights won't come on at all. The doors won't lock/unlock. I can turn the key in the driver's door to open it but inside on the center console the button to lock/unlock and the key fob won't work. I had a CD in the player, but that didn't start playing when I turned the key, so I'm guessing stereo isn't working either.

When I took the key out I heard a constant clicking sound under the hood. I put the key back in and turned it and the clicking/knocking stopped. Took the key out and it started clicking again.

I traced the sound to the relay/fuse box under the hood next to the battery. When I pulled the plug far left, 2nd one down (I believe the fan relay) the clicking stopped. I put it back in and clicking came back. So I pulled it again and waited a bit. When I put it in again the clicking stopped.

So what could the problem be? Is it simply a dead battery, or is something wrong that drained my battery? I'm hoping this isn't a costly repair. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
The problem is going to be hard to determine until the battery gets charged. it could be something as simple as the key lock popping up when the key is removed... Ron

·
Registered
248 Posts
this has happened on my car before. put the key in and turn it from LOCK to OFF, ON, OFF, ON, etc. a few times. i think the ignition switch gets fouled and sticks.

the thing to remember is that the key and lock cylinder aren't digital. the labels say ON and OFF but that doesn't mean anything when all the mechanics are worn down, have grit in the gaps, and no longer operate within the tolerances they were designed to.

you could also have a starter motor or alternator problem i guess, but for me it was just failure to fully set the ignition switch to OFF.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Lubrication of the key lock is regular maintenance item,,,apparently, very few do this.
Why?
The maintenance booklet can be greatly improved in this aspect..
And this is just one item of over 100...

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Lubrication of the key lock is regular maintenance item,,,apparently, very few do this.
Why?
The maintenance booklet can be greatly improved in this aspect..
And this is just one item of over 100...
Has anybody complied a proper maintenance schedule and posted it? Would make a great sticky...

As for lock maintenance, you have to be careful what you use. In the old days, graphite was fine, but the tolerances are tighter nowadays and graphite is abrasive.

When I had my 86 I got turned onto TriFlow as a superior cleaner and lubricant. Since the lock is recessed in the console in the C900's, cleaning regularly is a MUST.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. First step will be getting battery charged, then I'll go from there. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts