SaabCentral Forums banner

Car wont start

1K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  earthworm 
#1 · (Edited)
It runs like clockwork usually. I drove it about 40 mins each way trip this morning. Parked for 1 hour. Tried to start it but it missed and stalled..then kaput.

It cranks but wont fire hot or cold and now the battery is now flat :evil: must have been on the way out.

I took the cassette off (Red/3 years old/$550) but cant check to see if it sparks with the plugs attached as I dont have a plug wrench and the batteries flat.

The markings on the DI are TK3 2C 1 0345AG77821 SAAB 917 8955

Any ideas? I really hope its the DI cassette if its a recall item. I'm getting it towed to a Saab dealer on Friday rather than my usual guy.

Cheers M.

#3 ·
I hate to see theses things happen. It is at least one lost future sale, even ten, every time a certain brand car is on the hook...

To assure a high level of reliability, these cars must be well maintained ..

At 100K renew the CPS, the fuel pump and the DIC - I know of no other way..In the future, these components can be electronically monitored by the cars computer....maybe in the year 2020..

For now, carry a spare DIC(direct ignition cassette)...and a cell phone

#4 ·
musky said:
It runs like clockwork usually. I drove it about 40 mins each way trip this morning. Parked for 1 hour. Tried to start it but it missed and stalled..then kaput.

It cranks but wont fire hot or cold and now the battery is now flat :evil: must have been on the way out.

I took the cassette off (Red/3 years old/$550) but cant check to see if it sparks with the plugs attached as I dont have a plug wrench and the batteries flat.

Any ideas? I really hope its the DI cassette if its a recall item. I'm getting it towed to a Saab dealer on Friday rather than my usual guy.

Cheers M.
Since you have the red DIC it's not under recall. Only the black DIC is under recall :cry:

EW covered the possible causes. CPS, fuel pump and DIC. I'll add a couple more the fuel pump fuse and relay may be bad as well.

To isolate the problem further, you need to crank the car a few times then take off your plugs to see if they're wet.

If the spark plugs are wet and smell of gas, it's not the CPS and it's not the fuel pump and you need to know if there's spark or not so put the plugs on the DIC and have someone crank the car. Be far from the car and have the DIC in a secure position. Don't touch it! No spark = bad DIC

If the spark plugs are dry on the other hand, it may be a bad fuel pump, a bad CPS, bad fuel pump fuse or relay. For the CPS mesure the resistance, it should be 650 +- 50 ohms. If within range move to the fuel pump. Open the plastic cover under the back seat and fish the wire harness. run a direct wire to the battery to see if the fuel pump runs. If nothing happens, it's a bad fuel pump.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. Its got 120k Kilometres and been maintained very well.

I thought the red cassettes were a recall item as well? I may get it towed to my Saab guy rather than the dealer who was really unfriendly when I rang.

Where is the Crank Position Sensor located?

Cheers M.

#9 ·
musky said:

Cheers M.

BTW, was there a burnt eletrical smell when this happened? This is a usual sign of a dead DIC. I was unaware that 2000 verts had red cassettes. I'd ask if you were sure that someone didn't mess this up but you're information under your name mentions a T5.

If your DIC reads 0345 then it's actually four years old 03 stands for the year and 45 for the week it was made. Something is strange here though. If this is a 2000 and you have a DIC dated for 03 it's been replaced already. At 120k kilometers (roughly 74.5k miles) you might be expecting to replace the original for the first time. To have it fail again already would be very unusual.

#10 ·
bntroberts said:
BTW, was there a burnt eletrical smell when this happened? This is a usual sign of a dead DIC. I was unaware that 2000 verts had red cassettes. I'd ask if you were sure that someone didn't mess this up but you're information under your name mentions a T5.

If your DIC reads 0345 then it's actually four years old 03 stands for the year and 45 for the week it was made. Something is strange here though. If this is a 2000 and you have a DIC dated for 03 it's been replaced already. At 120k kilometers (roughly 74.5k miles) you might be expecting to replace the original for the first time. To have it fail again already would be very unusual.
From what I understand, Australian SAAB models are 1 year behind; so the 2000 he has is repackaged 1999 that has a T5 instead of a T7.

#12 · (Edited)
The manuf date was definitely April 2000.

Mmmm I bought the car used in 2003 so maybe it was already on its second DIC and a black replaced with a red??? Is this possible?

I replaced (red with red) the DIC in 2004. Maybe it should have been black?

I pulled the DIC off last night and there was no smell to it nor at the time from memory when it wouldn't start. I'm pretty sensitive to feel, noises and smells from cars.

I noticed when I usually turn on the ignition you get the 1 second 'buzz' (fuel pump?) lately it hasn't been happening as much or as strong. It gets the right grade fuel and never runs below 1/4 tank but what happened in the 3 years before I bought it is a mystery other than the excellent log books. (He was a flight engineer which really means nothing)

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it greatly.

Cheers M.

#14 · (Edited)
Definitely do the battery service, then diagnose the CPS, and the fuel pump..

But, after a no-start, are the plugs wet or dry ??

The red cassette is about $100 more expensive; they can be switched, but to use a black in lieu of the red is not recommended.
The parts that the car can use should be in the manual or the cars papers; there should also be a T5 or T7 tag in the engine compartment.... The owner has to do this; don't expect the dealer to trouble himself...:nono;

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks for your reply Earthworm.

The jump doesnt work :cry: but cranks faster from a new rental Corolla/Auris revving @5K :cheesy: but I did hear the fuel pump buzz so that probably rules out the CPS. Wondering fuel filter? It is due @ 120K which is now.

My Vehicle ID number: YS30078T7Y70

A2 BG -A -A -R -T / manuf' April '00 delivered to Oz June '00

Mmmmm it does say T7 in that ID code :suprised; ...coincidental I wonder? Its always had a red DIC's (plural).

Cheers M.

#18 ·
musky said:
...but I did hear the fuel pump buzz so that probably rules out the CPS.
The fuel pump does not "buzz" when you turn on the ignition.

The fuel pump only starts to run afer the engine cranks, and after the ECU detects a valid signal from the CPS.

Only way to check the fuel pump by sound, is to supply power to the fuel pump fuse or directly to the pump connector, through a test lead, with ignition off. Then listen for the sound of the pump from under a flipped up rear seat, AND also listen carefully for the hiss made by the fuel going through the FPR and the fuel rail, from over the engine.

#19 ·
"Saab to recall 287,987 cars worldwide for ignition problem

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- Saab plans to recall 287,987 cars worldwide because of a problem with the ignition system, a spokesman said Thursday.

The recall will affect gas-engine 9-3 and 9-5 models made in 2000, 2001, and 2002, said Orjan Aslund, a Swedish spokesman for Saab owner General Motors Corp."

Oh well worth a try.

Cheers M.

#20 ·
musky said:
"Saab to recall 287,987 cars worldwide for ignition problem

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- Saab plans to recall 287,987 cars worldwide because of a problem with the ignition system, a spokesman said Thursday.

The recall will affect gas-engine 9-3 and 9-5 models made in 2000, 2001, and 2002, said Orjan Aslund, a Swedish spokesman for Saab owner General Motors Corp."

Oh well worth a try.

Cheers M.
Yes and the models affected with a defective DIC is the black DIC equipped ones :cry:

#21 ·
Won't Start

hey guys, I just have a couple of questions?

I have a 2001 9-5 and i ran into some problems today that I haven't run in to since I purchased the car last year. Today I was working somewhere out of my area and I was running out of gas and literly could not find a gas station anywhere. The "gas light" went on and stayed on for about a half hour and about a block from the gas station, the car jerked a little bit, a slight shake. I figured it was just me running out. I filled up, everything was ok for, I assumed. As I am driving back home, it's fine at high speeds (highway). When I got stuck in a little bit of traffic, i had it in Drive (auto obviously) and it just died on me. I was able to start it up again but could only go about 100 yards before it did the same thing. This happened about 3-4 times before I finallly got to my house. I called a Saab dealership and the mechanic said if he had to make an educated guess it could be the DI Cassettes, I suggested maybe that it could have been all the gas that was stuck in bottom of the tank and it was just clogging up? He said that could be it too. However, tonight, I tried starting it up, and it would not. And as I tried more, it seemed to be dying until it finally did, it wouldn't even attempt to start up when I turned the key. The lights in the car are all on, everything is working, but it just won't start. I called a friend who is good with cars and said he is about 99% sure it is the starter. Would you guys agree? If so, how much does it cost to get it fixed? Rough estimate. Should I go to a Saab dealer or is it something a local mechanic can fix at a cheaper price? Thanks

#24 ·
musky said:
Drove to the saab place 12k's away no probs.

My saab guy is talking US$750 to repair it next week. Maybe its OK now and just needed a good kick.

Cheers M.
That's not even a temporary solution don't get false hope replace the pump!!! It may start a couple of times then it WILL strand you somewhere and you'll need a towing. Your choice I guess.

Good luck :cheesy:

#25 ·
Striking the pump (causing vibrations), is IMO, a good diagnostic "procedure".. The pump is on its last legs and will go completely very soon.

Take this as a reprieve and the time to renew the pump - today...The access hole should be in place, as well...
Good luck...

#26 ·
Worth noting here that the Walbro pump itself is very common and costs only around $100 US (less if you order online using the Walbro p/n instead of searching by make and model).

Most of the replacement cost is usually labor, from dropping and reinstalling the fuel tank with all its hoses and sensor connections. Cutting the hole as earthworm suggested, where an service panel would be on other cars that use this design, eliminates most of the work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.