SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It runs like clockwork usually. I drove it about 40 mins each way trip this morning. Parked for 1 hour. Tried to start it but it missed and stalled..then kaput.

It cranks but wont fire hot or cold and now the battery is now flat :evil: must have been on the way out.

I took the cassette off (Red/3 years old/$550) but cant check to see if it sparks with the plugs attached as I dont have a plug wrench and the batteries flat.

The markings on the DI are TK3 2C 1 0345AG77821 SAAB 917 8955

Any ideas? I really hope its the DI cassette if its a recall item. I'm getting it towed to a Saab dealer on Friday rather than my usual guy.

Cheers M.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also tried to get a used/lend cassette to see if it started but no luck.

Cheers M.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I hate to see theses things happen. It is at least one lost future sale, even ten, every time a certain brand car is on the hook...

To assure a high level of reliability, these cars must be well maintained ..

At 100K renew the CPS, the fuel pump and the DIC - I know of no other way..In the future, these components can be electronically monitored by the cars computer....maybe in the year 2020..

For now, carry a spare DIC(direct ignition cassette)...and a cell phone

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
musky said:
It runs like clockwork usually. I drove it about 40 mins each way trip this morning. Parked for 1 hour. Tried to start it but it missed and stalled..then kaput.

It cranks but wont fire hot or cold and now the battery is now flat :evil: must have been on the way out.

I took the cassette off (Red/3 years old/$550) but cant check to see if it sparks with the plugs attached as I dont have a plug wrench and the batteries flat.

Any ideas? I really hope its the DI cassette if its a recall item. I'm getting it towed to a Saab dealer on Friday rather than my usual guy.

Cheers M.
Since you have the red DIC it's not under recall. Only the black DIC is under recall :cry:

EW covered the possible causes. CPS, fuel pump and DIC. I'll add a couple more the fuel pump fuse and relay may be bad as well.

To isolate the problem further, you need to crank the car a few times then take off your plugs to see if they're wet.

If the spark plugs are wet and smell of gas, it's not the CPS and it's not the fuel pump and you need to know if there's spark or not so put the plugs on the DIC and have someone crank the car. Be far from the car and have the DIC in a secure position. Don't touch it! No spark = bad DIC

If the spark plugs are dry on the other hand, it may be a bad fuel pump, a bad CPS, bad fuel pump fuse or relay. For the CPS mesure the resistance, it should be 650 +- 50 ohms. If within range move to the fuel pump. Open the plastic cover under the back seat and fish the wire harness. run a direct wire to the battery to see if the fuel pump runs. If nothing happens, it's a bad fuel pump.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Its got 120k Kilometres and been maintained very well.

I thought the red cassettes were a recall item as well? I may get it towed to my Saab guy rather than the dealer who was really unfriendly when I rang.

Where is the Crank Position Sensor located?

Cheers M.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Hkayssi, does it look like some sort of a plug and have a little metal cover with a ring clip attached down near the bottom of the motor?Thanks M.

·
Registered
353 Posts
musky said:

Cheers M.

BTW, was there a burnt eletrical smell when this happened? This is a usual sign of a dead DIC. I was unaware that 2000 verts had red cassettes. I'd ask if you were sure that someone didn't mess this up but you're information under your name mentions a T5.

If your DIC reads 0345 then it's actually four years old 03 stands for the year and 45 for the week it was made. Something is strange here though. If this is a 2000 and you have a DIC dated for 03 it's been replaced already. At 120k kilometers (roughly 74.5k miles) you might be expecting to replace the original for the first time. To have it fail again already would be very unusual.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
bntroberts said:
BTW, was there a burnt eletrical smell when this happened? This is a usual sign of a dead DIC. I was unaware that 2000 verts had red cassettes. I'd ask if you were sure that someone didn't mess this up but you're information under your name mentions a T5.

If your DIC reads 0345 then it's actually four years old 03 stands for the year and 45 for the week it was made. Something is strange here though. If this is a 2000 and you have a DIC dated for 03 it's been replaced already. At 120k kilometers (roughly 74.5k miles) you might be expecting to replace the original for the first time. To have it fail again already would be very unusual.
From what I understand, Australian SAAB models are 1 year behind; so the 2000 he has is repackaged 1999 that has a T5 instead of a T7.

·
Registered
353 Posts
hkayssi said:
From what I understand, Australian SAAB models are 1 year behind; so the 2000 he has is repackaged 1999 that has a T5 instead of a T7.
Ahhhh, I see. I think I remember this from some time ago now that you mention it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The manuf date was definitely April 2000.

Mmmm I bought the car used in 2003 so maybe it was already on its second DIC and a black replaced with a red??? Is this possible?

I replaced (red with red) the DIC in 2004. Maybe it should have been black?

I pulled the DIC off last night and there was no smell to it nor at the time from memory when it wouldn't start. I'm pretty sensitive to feel, noises and smells from cars.

I noticed when I usually turn on the ignition you get the 1 second 'buzz' (fuel pump?) lately it hasn't been happening as much or as strong. It gets the right grade fuel and never runs below 1/4 tank but what happened in the 3 years before I bought it is a mystery other than the excellent log books. (He was a flight engineer which really means nothing)

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it greatly.

Cheers M.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If you have a T5 it's definitely red, I'd look more into the fuel pump by what you just said. You're in the lower bound miles wise for this to be a problem, but it's not unheard of.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Definitely do the battery service, then diagnose the CPS, and the fuel pump..

But, after a no-start, are the plugs wet or dry ??

The red cassette is about $100 more expensive; they can be switched, but to use a black in lieu of the red is not recommended.
The parts that the car can use should be in the manual or the cars papers; there should also be a T5 or T7 tag in the engine compartment.... The owner has to do this; don't expect the dealer to trouble himself...:nono;

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply Earthworm.

The jump doesnt work :cry: but cranks faster from a new rental Corolla/Auris revving @5K :cheesy: but I did hear the fuel pump buzz so that probably rules out the CPS. Wondering fuel filter? It is due @ 120K which is now.

My Vehicle ID number: YS30078T7Y70

A2 BG -A -A -R -T / manuf' April '00 delivered to Oz June '00

Mmmmm it does say T7 in that ID code :suprised; ...coincidental I wonder? Its always had a red DIC's (plural).

Cheers M.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The answer from my saab guy is "its coincidental" early '00 base engines were red.

Anyone know if the red DIC a recall item like the black? I will ring GM consumer line.

Cheers M.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
musky said:
...but I did hear the fuel pump buzz so that probably rules out the CPS.
The fuel pump does not "buzz" when you turn on the ignition.

The fuel pump only starts to run afer the engine cranks, and after the ECU detects a valid signal from the CPS.

Only way to check the fuel pump by sound, is to supply power to the fuel pump fuse or directly to the pump connector, through a test lead, with ignition off. Then listen for the sound of the pump from under a flipped up rear seat, AND also listen carefully for the hiss made by the fuel going through the FPR and the fuel rail, from over the engine.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Saab to recall 287,987 cars worldwide for ignition problem

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- Saab plans to recall 287,987 cars worldwide because of a problem with the ignition system, a spokesman said Thursday.

The recall will affect gas-engine 9-3 and 9-5 models made in 2000, 2001, and 2002, said Orjan Aslund, a Swedish spokesman for Saab owner General Motors Corp."

Oh well worth a try.

Cheers M.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
musky said:
"Saab to recall 287,987 cars worldwide for ignition problem

STOCKHOLM, Sweden (AP) -- Saab plans to recall 287,987 cars worldwide because of a problem with the ignition system, a spokesman said Thursday.

The recall will affect gas-engine 9-3 and 9-5 models made in 2000, 2001, and 2002, said Orjan Aslund, a Swedish spokesman for Saab owner General Motors Corp."

Oh well worth a try.

Cheers M.
Yes and the models affected with a defective DIC is the black DIC equipped ones :cry:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts