SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got up this am..and my car will crank forever but will not start!

I checked fuses and that is about it.....

where should i start checking? I've heard of the DI cassette..could this be the issue? Where do you check for fuel and ignition feeds to start to rule out possible issues?

Thanks,

Dave

I just tested the DI and I have spark out of all 4 plugs. The fuel pressure rail that feeds the 4 injectors has no pressure in it...I unscrewed the plastic cap and pressed the pin in to see if it had fuel.....

NO GO

Is this sounding like the fuel pump and is there a test for the fuel pump I can pefrorm?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Is there an acrid, sweet smell under the hood? If so its the DI :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No smell at all....

I see the CPS if failed will not let the fuel pump pump...how can you check the CPS to be sure the fuel pump is bad?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Can you here the fuel pump priming itself when you turn the key to on?
If not its probably either a bab pump or its not getting power. To check if its working you can hook up 12v directly to the pump and see if it runs

A faulty CPS normally fails when then engine is warm. Although they can also fail occasionally when cold.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is 12V going to the pump when I turn the key on. It then clicks off after a second or so. i would guess this is normal.

I pulled the pump and tried to run directly off battery...did nothing....I would think you could use the two power posts on the pump and direct test to the battery. Pretty much takes everything else out of the picture.

I ordered a pump from a local auto parts store and will put that in later today when it comes in...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Walbro 255 lph pump will do the trick for the you. Its about $100 as I understand it.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
fusionrx said:
Walbro 255 lph pump will do the trick for the you. Its about $100 as I understand it.
You have to modify the canister to fit it though :confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuel Pump was the problem! Installed and running in an hours time.

Local auto parts store Walbro brand $100.00 + new fuel line and 2 clamps to replace the one hard line from pump to top housing.

Did not have to modify anything to make this one fit

Thanks again for the help! :D

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Well done ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
dkrtgood said:
Fuel Pump was the problem! Installed and running in an hours time.

Local auto parts store Walbro brand $100.00 + new fuel line and 2 clamps to replace the one hard line from pump to top housing.

Thanks again for the help! :D
$100 is a little easier on the wallet than the $500 the dealer wants for the whole assembly! Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. :D

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
dkrtgood said:
Its the uprated ones that need a little more space and some modifying for them to fit ;)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Question on this procedure....

I'm going to do this on my 1999 9-5 2.3 but after reading the relevent posts and the site linked about, I'm confused as usual -- Do the fuel lines coming into the top, held on by the yellow tabs/holders just pull out when the tabs are pulled aside? What fuel line does the 6" of new fuel line and 2 clamps replace? Looking at the photo in his step 7 it looks like there are 4 lines. This last part is the only part that's really making me nervous and I can't be without this car for long. Thanks!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Josdek said:
I'm going to do this on my 1999 9-5 2.3 but after reading the relevent posts and the site linked about, I'm confused as usual -- Do the fuel lines coming into the top, held on by the yellow tabs/holders just pull out when the tabs are pulled aside? What fuel line does the 6" of new fuel line and 2 clamps replace? Looking at the photo in his step 7 it looks like there are 4 lines. This last part is the only part that's really making me nervous and I can't be without this car for long. Thanks!
Yes, the fuel lines just pull out. Just be careful with the yellow clips. They can be very brittle. The new fuel line you will have to replace is the connection between the fuel pump itself and the assembly. You will have to cut that piece to take the old pump out.

I would not be nervous about the process at all. Many people from this site, including myself have completed this diy without any problems at all. Once you get the pump out just follow the step-by-step instructions and you will be fine.

If you need any further help just let me know!

Good Luck,
Paul

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thanks Paul...I put the engine/trans in myself but for some reason this fuel pump thing scares me. I'll take you up on your offer of further help if I get in a jam. Joe

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct....The new fuel line replaces a short line from the pump to a tee fitting on the housing. The factory hose is of the hard variety and you have to cut it off to replace pump. Just replace it with new fuel line and clamp making sure to not kink the line...

Pretty easy..took me an hour

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think you have the same problem i had few months ago.

What it happened to me is that the car was working perfectly.. and suddenly the engine stops or i had to wait about 20 mins to get ignition again.

The solution for this is to change the Crank Sensor... it's about $35 in the internet, and you can DIY.

Good luck...!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts