SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about two days ago I went to start my 2006 Saab 93 Sportcombi wagon and all I heard were several clicks and no motor turnover.
I then jump started the vehicle after two tries. I let the car run for several minutes and then did not start the vehicle the remainder of that day.
The next morning I went out to start the vehicle and again the engine would not turnover. Again, same clicking noises. So, I immediately thought the battery must need replacing.
However, when I went to the auto parts store today they did a battery diagnostic test and it was producing plenty of power. The salesperson said it may be something electronic draining the power over night that is causing the engine to not start in the morning but that it was not the battery causing the issue.
I do not want to take the car to the dealership for repair unless I absolutely have to because of the higher cost. Any ideas or people that have had similar issues?

·
Registered
158 Posts
So, about two days ago I went to start my 2006 Saab 93 Sportcombi wagon and all I heard were several clicks and no motor turnover.
I then jump started the vehicle after two tries. I let the car run for several minutes and then did not start the vehicle the remainder of that day.
The next morning I went out to start the vehicle and again the engine would not turnover. Again, same clicking noises. So, I immediately thought the battery must need replacing.
However, when I went to the auto parts store today they did a battery diagnostic test and it was producing plenty of power. The salesperson said it may be something electronic draining the power over night that is causing the engine to not start in the morning but that it was not the battery causing the issue.
I do not want to take the car to the dealership for repair unless I absolutely have to because of the higher cost. Any ideas or people that have had similar issues?
I have had the same exact issue and replaced the battery....Could be a damaged cell.

·
Registered
193 Posts
sounds like a battery to me. take it to a shop that will run a quick electrical diag for cheap like Sears or equivilant. usually they check the battery,alternator and starter for proper working conditions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How old is your battery? I just went through the same thing the other day:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184208

I'd say just get a new battery.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
The basic dread battery is the first thing that comes to mind, throw a meter on it for starters...

·
Registered
542 Posts
I just went through this, too, electric went haywire and wouldn't start. It was weird - perfectly fine to dead overnight. Wouldn't jump after several tries, even to a running engine - finally when I had given up, the tow guy had a 1500 amp jump box and that did the trick. Went out to get a battery - for curiosity turned off and tried restart in the parking lot, dead again. For me it was definitely the battery, no problems since. Basically the battery was good enough to hold a charge, but not enough to engage the starter. It was confusing, I expected no power at all for it to be the battery. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Battery

Even the basic garage should be able to do a discharge test,and its quite simple to see if the battery is discharging current when switched off with the cheapest of AVO meters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it was the battery

As pretty much everyone said when they replied to my original question, it was the battery. I am happy that it was not something more complicated.
It is about time for me to have the 60k mile maintenance done.

My plan is to have the shop do the brake fluid flush.

I plan to do the oil change, oil filter change, air filter change, cabin filter change and new spark plugs to save some money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts