SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start my 2007 9-3 2.0T (10K miles) this morning. Turned the key nothing. None of those little relay sounds I normally hear when I insert the key and turn it. Gave up and ran my errand. Came back and tried again. This time I got a message telling me to remove the key, turn the wheel, and try to start again. Still no start. Now I noticed that the gauges are moving slightly and there is a noise coming from the dash in sequence with the gauges trying to move. I noticed that the noises and the gauges stop if I press the brake pedal.

Got out of the car, removed the key. Noise continues, gauges continue moving. I notice that the front blinkers are blinking. Quite by accident I discover that changing the position of the headlight switch (which I haven't ever moved since I have day time running lights) the blinkers stop.

Given that Saab won't open until Monday I felt I had no choice but to disconnect the battery. I didn't feel it was safe to let this thing run for another 24 - 36 hours until it was towed to Saab.

Any takers on this? I have mixed feelings about wanting to hear feedback. On one hand I would like to know that this has happened before and it can be fixed. I certainly don't want to hear that this is a one off and I am doomed to struggle with a ghost in the machine. However given how odd all of this seems, I almost don't want to hear that this is a common occurence. I also own a 72 MGB so you might say that I am well acquanited with electrical problems from Lucas, God of Darkness.

BTW... I took video of the moving gauges and captured the noise as well because I just knew if I told the dealer all of this without backup I would get the rolling eyes. If someone knows how to get it out here I will gladly share it. It is small at 780K. Or I can mail it to you directly. Send me a private message with your address.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Dead battery?

Sounds to me like your battery is done. It is very rare to have a battery die this quickly but possible.

I have a 1972 MG Midget MKIII so I can appreciate your Lucas comment.:D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response.

That would be amazing behaviour from a dead battery. I am used to a car doing absolutely nothing when the battery is done. I guess this is value added? :lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
a very similar thing happened to me the other day in my '03 with the exception of the brake pedal phenomena. I disconnected the battery for a while, towed to dealer. They diagnosed a bad battery. There is a trend on these cars to have very weird symptoms when voltage drops. You'll think that your battery is brand new and not likely to fail, but people have reported them going bad as early as 2k miles. Thats all i know.... good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
When the battery went on my 94 Saturn while driving the doors started to lock and unlock, stereo turned on and off, hazard lights would flicker....I had thought my car was possessed!!!

I wonder if GM secretly owns Lucas Electrics....

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Another Exide battery bites the dust. I'd like to know who makes the replacement Saab batteries, I really doubt they import them from Europe, so they must be US-made. As far as I know there are four companies making batteries in the US: Delphi, Exide, Johnson Controls, and Deka/East Penn.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The early death of the batteries is a common occurance these days. It was a comment from my close friend that happens to own two BMWs, and both not very old at all. One had battery issues already.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
brianl703 said:
Another Exide battery bites the dust. I'd like to know who makes the replacement Saab batteries, I really doubt they import them from Europe, so they must be US-made. As far as I know there are four companies making batteries in the US: Delphi, Exide, Johnson Controls, and Deka/East Penn.
Back when I used to build silly car audio systems the Delphi Freedom batteries were generally considered the best on the market for deep cycle abuse. The cheapest place to buy them was usually at the local Vauxhall dealers.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Interesting, the Delco Freedom batteries sold here are a lead-calcium formulation and this is supposedly not tolerant of deep-cycling at all. The advantage of lead-calcium is reduced water loss.

Deep-cycle batteries are a lead-antimony formulation. They use more water so they always have removable vent caps so you can add more.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Now that this has happened I am re-thinking something that I wanted to do in my 97 900.

Anyone have any experience or recommendations about decent looking gauge sets in the newer Saabs? Nothing to boy-racerish. Something that looks as though it could belong.

I have been thinking that a voltage, oil pressure, and very outside chance vaccuum gauge might come in handy.

Another thought... this info must be available to the car's computer. Anyone hack that?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts