SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, new to the forum although I have read a ton of post to help with my beauty! I’ve got a 02 SAAB 9-5 3.0 with close to 140k on it. Recently I encountered an issue when the car started backfiring, would hardly accelerate, CEL would blink continuously then she just shut off. I changed the CPS and O2 sensor along with the DIC and spark plugs. I’m thinking it’s fuel related now, I turn over the ignition and can hear the pump whirl but car won’t start. What should I do next?

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Well, since you have the V-6, you actually have 2 ignition cassettes. Did you replace both or just one? Was it OEM or aftermarket?
Also, did you only replace the front bank (3 spark plugs) or both banks (all 6 plugs)?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, since you have the V-6, you actually have 2 ignition cassettes. Did you replace both or just one? Was it OEM or aftermarket?
so far I’ve just replaced the front DIC, it was so bad the spring just fell out. The symptoms that I’ve experienced is different than when the coil pack went back. And it would at least start when it was the coil pack, prior to being changed. It was OEM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, did you only replace the front bank (3 spark plugs) or both banks (all 6 plugs)?
I see where you’re going with this. I need to change the back coil pack and spark plugs. I’ll try that ASAP! That coil pack is not cheap but I’ve been meaning to get it taken care of. Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
I see where you’re going with this. I need to change the back coil pack and spark plugs. I’ll try that ASAP! That coil pack is not cheap but I’ve been meaning to get it taken care of. Thanks for your help!
You might consider finding a local Saab garage and strike up a relationship, having a knowledgeable garage that can possibly help you by lending you parts (DIC for example) rather then throwing parts at the car until you solve your issue.

Also a Saab shop would most likely have a TECH2 that is invaluable for saving time and money in diagnosing issues.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just received the new DIC and was about to change the spark plugs and noticed oil in one of the spark plug wells. What does this mean?

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
So I just received the new DIC and was about to change the spark plugs and noticed oil in one of the spark plug wells. What does this mean?
It means your valve cover gasket is done. You need a new valve cover gasket kit (both outer and inner gaskets).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I’m a newb to all this. On a scale of 1-10 how hard is that to replace? I’ve seen the kits aren’t too expensive on RockAuto.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
If you can change spark plugs and a DIC it is a 2.

Use fishing line or dental floss to hold the new gasket onto the valve cover when you have it upside down (you'll see what I mean) and it's easy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you @bob3000 and @Nocturne! Would that cause the car not to start? Or do you think it was a faulty DIC? When I took out the back DIC (V6) I seen the coil chambers were covered with electrical tape ?? someone took the cheap route and halfa**sd the job. Only one of the spark plugs wells had oil and it wasn’t a lot, either. I had read somewhere on the net that faulty DIC’s have oil to help cool down some type of circulatory system. Didn’t know if that was true?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, so I think I have a new issue now ? a just purchased a OBDII scanner yesterday and ran it on the car after replacing the DIC and spark plugs. I still couldn’t get the car to turn over. The reader gave me two codes 1) P0116- Engine Coolant something.. and 2) P1640 about the ECU. Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
I'm going to go back to my earlier suggestion, you should try to find a shop or someone with Saab knowledge or a TECH2 to do a proper diagnosis especially since the car has been messed with...

someone took the cheap route and halfa**sd the job.
Without a TECH2 or in person live diagnosis you could be chasing this forever, internet diagnosis can only really help with basic stuff.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Alright, so I think I have a new issue now ? a just purchased a OBDII scanner yesterday and ran it on the car after replacing the DIC and spark plugs. I still couldn’t get the car to turn over. The reader gave me two codes 1) P0116- Engine Coolant something.. and 2) P1640 about the ECU. Any recommendations?
P1640 is No Voltage to ECM.
P0116 is Coolant Temperature sensor malfunction. (needs to be replaced).
As for the P1640, as bob3000 said, you'd be best to find a Tech II to get specifics as to what's going on. It could be anything from a completely dead Crank Position Sensor (CPS) to corroded/broken/frayed wiring, bad pins on a connector, dead/dying relay, fuse etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found fuse 14 had blown so that’s a start to my problem. Sorry, I’m determined to do this on my own until I absolutely can’t anymore lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts