SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used 2000 Saab 93 convertible in October and up until now, it has run smooth without any major problems. About three weeks ago I was working on the convertible top (which doesn't work, but is a problem for another day), after that, the car would not start. I figured I must have simply drained the battery somehow, so I jumped it and it ran smoothly.

The next day, it wouldn't start again. Again, I jumped it. After this, i also noticed the car ran rougher, it would shake quite a bit on the road at low speeds. This went on for two weeks, always needing to jump the car if it sat for too long (usually anything longer than an hour). I had the battery tested at VIP, and they said it was all good.

I took it to one of the few garages that actually works on Saab's in my town. He replaced the mass air flow sensor and air filter, and then smiled as he handed me my keys and my bill. I drove it to run my errands and then home without problems.

That night I tried to start it and it did the same exact thing as before. It made a repeated clicking noise and would not turn over. I let it sit for about ten minutes, tried it again, and it started (roughly). This happens everytime I try to start it now.

Does anybody have ideas as to what is causing this or any solutions?

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
If it will start by jumping, it is probably because the battery is low. It could be low due to a bad cell or bad alternator. If the battery takes a charge from a battery charger, it's probably the alternator. You need a voltmeter to check that, which should be +14.5 VDC while running. Harbor Freight sometimes has free voltmeters; other times they are just $5.00... Ron

·
Registered
257 Posts
Heh, or just buy a nice Fluke multimeter and never need another one again. Did you do anything electrical while working on the top that you think your work there and the battery problem are related? In addition to checking the battery voltage while running, right after stopping, and right before attempting to start, you can check the current draw while stopped with the roof related fuse in and removed and see if there's any change...

Lead acid batteries have a limited life span, and with car batteries in particular, each time they've been heavily discharged, they lose some of their capacity/life. Maybe it was time for the battery to die, maybe something is discharging it while parked, or maybe it isn't being properly charged while running due to an alternator issue, so it's time to start troubleshooting. You should definitely always see over 13v across the battery terminals while the engine is running, and about 12.7v right after stopping the engine--- and right before starting on the next trip.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a very similar problem. Randomly the car would not start but I could jump it and be on my way. Battery and alternator tested fine. After some time it would not even start by jumping it. I eventualy traced the problem to a bad (corroded) positive battery cable connection at the starter. I would check all of your cables and connections.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts