SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will start no prob cold,or hot but let it sit for 30min to 2hours and nothing.iv got power ,but wont turn over.been to local saab dealer,and they cant find any thing.love the car but starting to wind me up.any help be great.ta,Jason:eek:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
[sighs at answering this question for the umpteenth time]

Crankshaft Position Sensor. Search is your friend. ;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
That CPS sure has a lot of influence on the operation of the car. I never heard of it til mine went out at 75,000. The other day my wife's cadillac catera wouldn't start, it was on\off. would start then not start, so i replaced the cps and it runs like a champ, her car had 76,000 miles on it. seems like thet go out about that mile range. The mechanics must make a fortune off it and it's so easy to replace.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

cps? iv been lookin in forums and first was like,yea cps.but not so sure as car wont even turn over.and then when it does go no prob.im thinkin(after lookin in forum)that most prob neutal position switch.....what do you guys think.or should i do cps first as this seems to be cheaper,ta,jason:cheesy:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
The starting when cold but not when hot is classic CPS symptom. If it was the NSS it would happen any time whether hot or cold.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Tho I thought straight off CPS this will not affect the car turning over. whats happening on the dash when you try to start it?

are the lights brightly lit, all dials on, any change when you turn the key?
is your car an auto?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Possible Antenna Ring

On the 9-5, if I am reading your post correctly you have a car that is not cranking when you try to start it. A crankshaft position sensor does not prevent the car from cranking. The only things that can do that would be a faulty neutral safety switch, TWICE Module or faulty antenna ring.

Antenna ring would be my first choice due to a low failure rate of the other components. You may want to check the terminal tension on the antenna ring and verify a good connection.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If the engine is not cranking at all the likely culprit is the neutral safety switch. It could also be the loose connection at the starter problem that is very common.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Simple test

A simple test for neutral safety switch failure would be to look at your dash and see if the gear selector for park is lit up. Typically when they fail they dont light up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
9000Trubble said:
Tho I thought straight off CPS this will not affect the car turning over. whats happening on the dash when you try to start it?

are the lights brightly lit, all dials on, any change when you turn the key?
is your car an auto?
yea lights are bright still,and no change when i turn key .and yes its an auto.the car is at saab dealer at the moment.....iv been giving them info from you guys,but they seem unwilling to put in new parts as they think im just guesing....they cant find a prob.;oops: thanks for all help so far team.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cps

Hi...I have a 9-5 Aero (manual transmission) and I have similar problem. The engine turnsover great when cold, but when warm sometimes it fails to start. I can leave it for about 5-10 mins and it starts but sluggish, then picks up. If you try to turn it over, the dash lights are illuminated but nothing from the engine. Recently the engine has been cutting out when driving but only at slow speeds. Can somebody specify what is actually wrong as Saab dealers just want to replace anything and charge the earth

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where is the neutral safety switch located on 9-5 Aero

Pab95 wrote this: If the engine is not cranking at all the likely culptit is the neutral safety switch. It could also be the loose connection at the starter problem that is very common.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Could be as simple as a loose battery cable at the starter. That's what it was on mine. Symptom is all lights on dash come on normally, but turning the key to Start just produces a little click - all the lights stay on.

Symptom of a loose cable at battery is all lights on dash come on normally, but turning the key to Start just produces a little click - all the lights go out.

If the starter doesn't engage when you turn the key, it's not the CPS at fault. CPS symptom is engine will spin but not start when engine is hot.

If it's the NSS then the starter may spin the engine when the shifter is rowed between gears a little - try neutral rather than part.

I'm beginning to believe we have a language problem here. In Canada when you turn the key to Start and the engine "turns over" that means that the starter is spinning the engine - not necessarily that the engine is running! I gather from some of the confusion that in some places "turn over" is interpreted as the engine actually running. You guys (you know who you are) need to get your act together! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts