SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I'm at a stop and I turn the steering wheel I get car vibration, even when I'n not at full lock. Just wheels pointing straight and I turn the wheel slightly. Anyone have ideas as to what this could be? Power steering resevoir is full so no leaks from the steering rack. Doesn't happen when the car is moving.

I should mention that the car aslo has a rough idle when stopped. Not a constant rough but it will be idling than it will get rough for a couple seconds when the car shakes a little and than back to normal.

99 9-5 Auto

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Things to check....

serpentine belt/pulleys for condition
change power steering fluid, its 8 years old now!
also check tyre pressure, the pump works a lot harder/rougher if you need air in the tyres.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
First of all, you should avoid turning your wheels with a car stationary. This is even worse in our cars, because they are so much heavier, and have such wide tires. You should always try to roll even just a tiny bit when turning, but sometimes it is unavoidably necessary. However, every car I have ever driven has gotten shakier by turning the wheels when stopped.

It sounds like your power steering is working properly, but you have a low idle problem. This could be a million things... Check your vacuum lines; both the small ones and big ones. Replace your sparkplugs, check your fuel filter, clean the throttle body, change the airfilter... do whatever you can to get it running in tip-top shape again.

This could also be a sign of a forthcoming issue, like a weak or failing DI, fuel pump, throttle body, etc. Or it could just be worn motor mounts making the vibration more apparent than it should be.

Hope that gives you some ideas towards diagnosing your issue.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm thinking a fuel as there have been a couple of times when I start the car and it idles so poorley that it dies. It takes several times of starting or some additional preassure on the gas to keep it on. It is very intermittent though. Luckily I have a new fuel pump assy on the shelf, along with 2 garrets and bunch of other saab parts :)

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Fuel pump COULD be going - mine idled roughly after coming to a stop a couple times prior to the fuel pump dying.

If you have had the serpentine belt replaced with the short belt that bypasses the centre pulley, then often you will experience engine roughness at idle when there is an extra load placed on the engine (like when you turn the wheel when stopped....)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting that you should mention it since I have had the short belt put in about 4 mos ago. But the problem only started about 2 mos ago. But it does do it only when there seems to be an extra load.

MacNoob said:
Fuel pump COULD be going - mine idled roughly after coming to a stop a couple times prior to the fuel pump dying.

If you have had the serpentine belt replaced with the short belt that bypasses the centre pulley, then often you will experience engine roughness at idle when there is an extra load placed on the engine (like when you turn the wheel when stopped....)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts