SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90% of the time i turn my key the car starts...
the other 10% when i turn my key nothing happens...no turning, no clicking..all the power kicks on but nothing happens... imagine turning your key and hearing all the electrical kick on but no engine.

i do nothing but leave the car alone for a while then go back and it starts...this is not good when I am pressed for time and there so far has been no magic procedure to guarantee a start once it does this.

it's not a bad battery connection...this is all i have...i obviously have some sort of break in relay from the ignition to the starter...but it is very random. suggestion would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ditto

I've been experiencing it for a while now. Usually i have to wait anywhere from 1 - 10mins. At worst about 20mins - I have yet to find the cause of it. I heard it could be a faulty 'Neutral safety switch'. Not too sure

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
starting probs continued

i just read the sticky thread concerning engine not starting...

the fuel pump and cps were both replaced over the past year...

as for the DIC it would seem strange for this to only start some of the time..this has been going on for a couple years with no luck and the DIC has not gotten worse. As a matter of fact i will go through periods of several months with good engine startups.

·
Registered
556 Posts
1st thing I would do is see if power is getting to the starter relay from the key. If not, then the fault lies between the relay and the ignition switch.

·
Registered
156 Posts
it sounds to me like a neutral safety switch (range switch) issue, assuming it's an automatic.. if you have someone else with you and the car will not start, find the switch and try tapping on the switch with a long object (in my case, an ice scraper does the job) while the other person tries starting the car. the switch is kind of buried to the left under the battery.. the nss costs around 375 bucks minus the labor to replace

·
Registered
364 Posts
from the research i have gathered, it is more than likely the neutral safety switch if it is an automatic.

unfortunately this has started to occur on my car and i will need to get it fixed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
car not starting

I had the same problem recently with my 2002 convertible and it is an automatic. the NSS is quite pricey but there are alternatives to replacing that switch. I had a bypass button put in that when this happens infrequently you leave the car in park turn the ignition to the on position and push the button and it starts right up. You only have to use this when you find your car is not starting the normal way. This corrected my problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts