SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

So I just got my Saab 9-5 2.3 Linear back from the shop earlier this week. I changed the starter, CPS, fuel filter, fuel pump so the car was running good. I was on my way home on the highway when at some point car started losing power and when I hit the gas it was not moving the car or it would just move in short bursts then the car totally shut off so I pulled over. I didn't see any loose hoses, no smoke, so I I figured I would re-tighten the DIC. I have a spare in my trunk but one the bolts is stripped and very hard to remove. (any tips?) Car starts up just fine, so I continued on and filled it up at the rest stop in case my gas meter was off. Drove nice and normally and made it back about a block to my home and gave more throttle to hit full boost, heard a a backfire and car was sputtering again as before but managed to pull up to my home. Could this be a sign for failing DIC or maybe a loose hose that I didn't notice?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Remove DIC bolt - get a socket-driven Torx bit of the next size up and hammer it into the bolt.

They're often over-torqued for no apparent reason (other than people don't bother to look up the figure, or don't have torque wrenches that go low enough!). They only need to be tight enough to not unscrew themselves - they're not compressing a gasket or anything requiring high torque. Even if two came loose, the DIC might not move, and even if it did, it would have to go a long way to break the spring/plug contact.

From what I've read and my experience, that doesn't sound like a failing DIC, and I look forward to being educated by the eventual solution!

Doug

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
Check if the intake/charge air pipe popped off the top of the throttle body when you "a block to my home and gave more throttle to hit full boost".

I've had DIC's die in the same way you describe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I will try to re-torque the bolt check the DIC and check the intake hose. Ugh, hopefully this will be an easy fix.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I know it’s a pain, but double check your CPS installation and make sure that the old O-ring was not left in the chamber. I’m also suspecting the new CPS itself. I trust it was an OEM Bosch.

·
Registered
7,884 Posts
This:

Check if the intake/charge air pipe popped off the top of the throttle body when you "a block to my home and gave more throttle to hit full boost".

Also check the hose from the intercooler to the charge air tube as well. If any of those pop off the car will run reasonably well with "low load" but if you stomp on it it'll sputter and die.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed to work on car today. The clamp holding the pipe to the throttle body decided to stop clamping down cause it to be loose. I replaced the clamp and so far so good. Thanks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
This:

Also check the hose from the intercooler to the charge air tube as well. If any of those pop off the car will run reasonably well with "low load" but if you stomp on it it'll sputter and die.
Score another one for UM. Well done.

·
Premium Member
4,279 Posts
Managed to work on car today. The clamp holding the pipe to the throttle body decided to stop clamping down cause it to be loose. I replaced the clamp and so far so good. Thanks.
Get yourself a good t-bolt clamp and it won't pop off again, also make sure the o-ring isn't folded or pinched and out of shape.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update. So I was driving along on the highway at a constant 65 mph and the car started not having throttle response again and basically shut off while moving. Pulled over to the side to check the pipes, everything is on tight this time around. Re-start the car and it drives fine? This happened more times over this past weekend. Each time, everytime I shut off the car and re-start it would be fine. I swapped out some old fuses to some new ones for good measure. Made it to work this morning with no problem though...yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will check out the CPS again when I have time this weekend. Since then, I reset the ECU, put in some fuel injector cleaner and topped the tank off with premium gas and so far so good.

Side note: Also replaced the window rollers this past weekend. It was a pain! My window arms were bent as I am fitted the new rollers in the first few times, once I rolled them up they would just bend again. Good thing I bought 8 sets lol. Took a long time just to unbend it to the point where the window would roll back up without breaking the new rollers each time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Get a cheap code reader and find the fault codes.

I'd suggest vacuum pipes, particularly servo inlet, heater control and around the back of the engine.

CPS is likely and worth charging out anyway, simple and not too pricey.

My monster Aero recently popped the hose off the intercooler, the clip was totally rotten. BUT it was only on really close inspection I found the pipe was partially off and not causing a consistent problem.

MAF could be a problem.

Unlikely but not impossible it could be a fuel issue, filter, pump or rail pressure.

Fault codes really help in nailing down the cause though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts