SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I noticed that my car sound like diesel engine but this I can hear only inside the car door closed.
When the car is worm and I pay attention there is this faint sound coming in and it sound like
diesel car running parallel to mine. Under the hood I can’t hear it at all. Does anyone have similar experience?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think i have mine narrowed down to the belt tensioner.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

How, I can't hear it inside engine bay, only from inside the car. Doors and windows closed, music off, and fan on min or off as well. Only then I can hear quiet but distinct ticking.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Same here. It started at about 110k KMS. when i bought it at 107k it was quiet. couldn't really hear it running standing infront of the car. I had belt and tensioner replaced at 112K and it still did it. wish i could get it running quiet like that, but i don't wanna spend thousands just for it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Mine's been doing this too for a while, and that was my thought too. Sound seems to come from low down on the pulley end of the engine. Most noticeable at idle with a warm engine, or just on switch off as eveything slows down...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 08 9-3 with 30000km is doing the same thing. Very loud at a cold start but gets better when warm. There is still a slight sound inside the car once warm though. I have been told it is a sludge problem and the oil is having trouble gettin to the top of the motor. I didn't think sludge was an issue with these motors though? I am not sure what to think.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The characteristic "diesel noise" in petrol engines is usually related either to valves (or hydraulic tappets) or camshaft misalignment.
This noise is definately lower down and comes from the timing chain end of the engine, not the valve gear.

I had a similar noise on a previous car and it was the belt tensioner bearings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts