SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for looking, and helping.
I have a SAAB 9-3 2002 and when I drive its smooth, then when I'm going 50mph till 60mph it starts to shake/ vibrate a little. Then when I speed up, super smooth. It's just odd when I'm at speeds of 50-60mph it shakes. By the way no engine light on. Any ideas? And my tires have good thread on them and rims are mint!

Thank you again for looking and helping me out, god bless.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just to rule it out, I'd have on-car high-speed balancing done to your car. I had some similar issues which resolved with new pads and rotors and the high-speed balancing. I put a video of it on YouTube.

·
Registered
19,184 Posts
Have the wheels balanced on a Hunter Road Force machine - nothing else is accurate enough for Saabs. See if that helps. If it doesn't, you can look elsewhere, but I'll give you high odds you have a wheel/tire problem.

http://www.gsp9700.com to find one near you.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Have the wheels balanced on a Hunter Road Force machine - nothing else is accurate enough for Saabs. See if that helps. If it doesn't, you can look elsewhere, but I'll give you high odds you have a wheel/tire problem.

http://www.gsp9700.com to find one near you.
The only problem with this is that shops may charge way too much for this service. The only shop near us with one wanted $30 PER TIRE (these being the second set of tires we had purchased there)

A Saab independent shop seemed to think it was suspension related in our case when we had this problem.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Don't overlook the obvious either.
This is a symptom of improper tire inflation.

·
Registered
19,184 Posts
$30/tire is a rip off. I paid $50 to have four tires done. Try the link I posted and find someone better priced.

Regardless of the cost, if balance is the problem, this is often the only way to fix it. I was convinced (and so was the local indy, a couple Saab guys with 20+ years each on Saabs) that I had a mechanical issue. All the symptoms fit and the vibration was only under acceleration, which is not a normal 'just out of balance' condition. I found out about the Roadforce machine and decided to try it out. Problem cured. I won't get tires balanced any other way now for my Saabs.

·
Registered
1999 9-3 4dr/hardtop 275K
468 Posts
My money is on tire balance. These front ends are really sensitive. I get problems with blown snow nestling in the rims in the winter and once I left the car sitting where dust blew and deposited on one edge of the rim (same symptoms). Try swapping tires front to back and see if you notice a difference. Or if you have an extra set of rims with snows throw two of those on.
Some places where you buy the tire will give you lifetime balancing along with rotation. I had one set of tire from Sears that was re-balanced every year for free. I don't know why my 9-3 is so sensitive to this balance issue. I would not spend $30 per tire.

The other potential culprits are expensive to fix so I would start with this obvious one.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I have the exact same thing on my Viggen... 60-65 is shakes.. below and above its smooth... I just (2 days ago) replaced the control arms... so I'm gonna guess it may need aligned?

·
Registered
1999 9-3 4dr/hardtop 275K
468 Posts
I have the exact same thing on my Viggen... 60-65 is shakes.. below and above its smooth... I just (2 days ago) replaced the control arms... so I'm gonna guess it may need aligned?
Did the shake occur at the same speed range prior to installing the control arms?

·
Registered
19,184 Posts
rameleg:

It would be better to start your own thread as there are now three people working their problems on this one :)

First I would recheck the work and make sure everything is properly tightened.

Next I would get an alignment as you most always need one after changing something like control arms. But bottom line, the alignment would have to be WAY off to cause vibration issues. I'd be more likely to believe that your wheels are not sitting right on the hubs or you have some other issue. Are your hubs nice and clean with anti-seize on the center... do the wheels slip right on and off? Did you torque the wheel studs in two stages with a torque wrench? Did you have the rotors off?

·
Registered
554 Posts
rameleg:

It would be better to start your own thread as there are now three people working their problems on this one :)

First I would recheck the work and make sure everything is properly tightened.

Next I would get an alignment as you most always need one after changing something like control arms. But bottom line, the alignment would have to be WAY off to cause vibration issues. I'd be more likely to believe that your wheels are not sitting right on the hubs or you have some other issue. Are your hubs nice and clean with anti-seize on the center... do the wheels slip right on and off? Did you torque the wheel studs in two stages with a torque wrench? Did you have the rotors off?
U R right... i hijacked it :(.. lol

Yup... wheels slide on and off with no issue... pretty clean... torqued them to 90 ft/lbs with a torque wrench.. but only once.. and no.. we didnt take the rotors off...

I have no way to take it apart right now... (long story.. but just believe me).. maybe I'll go have the tires balanced and ask if I can visually inspect it while its on the rack and check my work...lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts