SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've had the system in the car for a while but figured I'd throw some pics on here. System consists of AOpen Mini PC in the glovebox with Carnetix P1900 smart shutdown controller powersupply and other goodies running Vista Business.

USB Hub...

Touchscreen/Desktop...

GPS Antenna...

cont....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cont...

CoPilot 10 nav software (cupholder still works)...

AutoTap software pics for datalogging and monitoring...

I prefer using this little roller ball presentation mouse over the touchscreen...

I can use the stereo as I normally would if the PC is not running or being used. The PC goes through the AUX input in the head unit. The monitor has 2 video inputs. I thought about putting a camera in the front of the car, center bumper for some really cool film footage with an "on the road" vantage point. Not much need for a backup camera...

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Very cool indeed....

Just remember to keep your eyes on the road.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
very nice, im jealous. Wish my 9000 had a glove box :(!

GPS must be really smooth with a PC processor! mine kinda laggs a bit with 3D map and text-to-speech both turned on (only 400 Mhz)

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
You did it!!! That looks cool man! If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back? I'm interested in doing something like this, but I was trying to think of another place to put the computer considering I use my glovebox too much. :confused:

Maybe under the seat?

Very cool though!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
valbowski1980 said:
Very cool indeed....

Just remember to keep your eyes on the road.
Yeah no kidding. I realized this the first day it was in....can be very distracting if you let it be. I put my mp3's on random and punch in nav coordinates before I hit the road and try not to mess with it.

I can hook up my cell phone/pda to the USB hub and get cellular internet which is cool for passengers riding shotgun....screen swivels right/left also.

There's not enough room under the seat and that creates wiring issues as well. You have to make a small hole in the back of the glovebox for the wiring to come through but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

The nav runs perfectly...Core 2 Duo 1.66 and 2 gig of RAM...It's sad because this is the most powerful computer I own and my home pc's need some more muscle.

I had the pc guts already so that helped with the cost only needing to buy barebones. I think that was $450 or so. The screen was like $300, power supply like $125, GPS antenna was pretty cheap as was the usb hub. Can't remember exactly how much. Got a deal on the nav software for like $75 I think. Install was a few hundred for everything and if you don't have the euro DIN stereo case with the cubby you'll need one of those. To get the screen to fit you will have to modify the cage by bending back the retaining tabs on the top slot and then grinding them down to shorten them so they don't press on the wiring back there. I wrapped the edge in electrical tape to eliminate the sharp edge. I need to pull it back out and solder the LCD to the cage to keep it from moving. It's a little loose in there and pushes in a little too deep which has made the silver trim piece pop off a few times on really bumpy roads. It doesn't snap into place like the bottom stereo portion does unfortunately.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Two things:

1) That looks really cool.

2) I can't imagine myself having any use for any of it.

But, hey! Every mad scientist needs his toys! :cheesy:

Can you check for warrants on that thing? :p

·
Registered
237 Posts
cool pc in car

Real cool pc in car. Next step has got to be server in boot and four pc's networked to server each passenger could have their own pc then, and driver have his own, or go the whole hog and get a wireless setup and other car drivers can then tap into your data logging software and watch what your upto !!!!

:cheesy:
think this may be a bit to much kit to put in car.

Jack

·
Registered
91 Posts
Nice Install

XAAMOTTOMAAX,

Excellent job, Hopefully I'll have my car pc installed shortly. Mine is based around a Mac mini (Intel, core duo), but I've got a 2 din built in screen (replacing the head unit).
As soon as I've got it all done (waiting for the Centrafuse Frontend and the Directions Navigator 7 software), I'll post a worklog and a whole bunch of pictures.

Colin

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Nice job...

Would like to do something like this too.

See alot of the old analog style Onstar units up on Ebay, was thinking about hacking one per the DIY instructions, but don't know if it can be integrated into a non-Onstar vehicle.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Main motivators....

nav...enough said
mp3's...I have about 50 gig's worth that I can access at will
movies...I have kids and yes they do shut up when you put a movie on
diagnostics...My car is tuned and I was constantly running autotap with my laptop on my front seat hooked up to the power inverter hooked up in the lighter socket. PITA to say the least. I can pull codes, reset the ecu, graph data etc from the dash.

You can get nav/video from someone like pioneer or alpine or for less/similar amount spent you can get a lot more by doing the pc route.

Oh and it connects to my home wireless network where I can easily transfer files through sharing from other computers on my home network. Overkill? Maybe to some...but not to me. :cool:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
XAAMOTTOMAAX said:
Main motivators....

nav...enough said
mp3's...I have about 50 gig's worth that I can access at will
movies...I have kids and yes they do shut up when you put a movie on
diagnostics...My car is tuned and I was constantly running autotap with my laptop on my front seat hooked up to the power inverter hooked up in the lighter socket. PITA to say the least. I can pull codes, reset the ecu, graph data etc from the dash.

You can get nav/video from someone like pioneer or alpine or for less/similar amount spent you can get a lot more by doing the pc route.

Oh and it connects to my home wireless network where I can easily transfer files through sharing from other computers on my home network. Overkill? Maybe to some...but not to me. :cool:
That is exactly what I want, and I'm doing it... eventually...

Hahaha yessss... I'm excited!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
51-HOTaero said:
XAAMOTTOMAAX,

Excellent job, Hopefully I'll have my car pc installed shortly. Mine is based around a Mac mini (Intel, core duo), but I've got a 2 din built in screen (replacing the head unit).
As soon as I've got it all done (waiting for the Centrafuse Frontend and the Directions Navigator 7 software), I'll post a worklog and a whole bunch of pictures.

Colin
Colin,

The AOpen pc I got is a copy of the Mac mini case. It will fit nicely in the glovebox. You might have been here before but check out www.mp3car.com.

Colin/Sector, let me know if you have any questions along the way. It's pretty straightforward but I'll help however I can.

·
Registered
237 Posts
xxammottoxx

USb sateliite tv stick or free to air tv stick would be good you could have your own t.v in car then.

why not go the whole hog and get motorsied satellite dish in yer boot !!!:cheesy:

Jack

1 - 17 of 17 Posts