SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I went to start car and it did not turn on or did the key turn. Figured it was the battery on the FOB but it wasn't. After trying a few things I depressed brake and like magic the key turned and off I went. Upon arriving at destination I turned car off but the radio continued to stay on and the door chime was ringing while the fob was out of ignition..
Did i mention that "gearbox malfunction" was displayed on the center dash display about 3 weeks ago. Since that I had a tune-up and message went away...

Confused in NJ..

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Those sound like the gremlins that precede a dying battery. With the ignition on, but engine not running (drl's on) throw a meter on the battery and see what it reads. That's a more accurate way of checking a battery than looking at an unloaded surface charge. If it's under 12 you may be due.

Unloaded it should read just above 12, Engine running it should read 14.5-7

Also check the water level (pop the two strips). servicing batteries is often overlooked, topping one off can substantially improve performance and extend it's life.

Edit: the battery in the FOB has nothing to do with the Ignition system, only the central locking system. The Ignition circuit reads a passive RFID (like a credit card stripe) on the circuit board.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'd also check the flap on the bottom of the ignition switch - it can stick.

This would explain the radio and "key in ignition, door open" warning when the key was out of the switch, as the car would still think the key was in if the flap was stuck open.

It could also be a faulty switch - it wouldn't be the first to be replaced.

·
Registered
411 Posts
sounds like the probem i had with my switch. The spring loaded center button would not come up and the everythine was still on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts