SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure if this is in the right area to post. I drive a 54 Plate SAAB 9-3 120bhp. Now my concern is the engine temp always shows low then what is should. I know in all cars it sits at a happy 90C and in basic terms controls the temp with use of pumping water to the radiator and back in once cooled. Now mine shows a temp of about 75 or slightly above as it does move up and down. I have had this issue for about a year now and the garages still can't figure it out. these are some of the things that happen.

Motorway the temp is just under 90C or the middle line
Stationary the temp is about 77C, Just above the second line
Normal road driving, if I am using the gas pedal the needle seems to move up. when im not it will go down slightly.
This is all with the heating set to full and the fan on 4 or 5 to keep the inside ish warm.

If the heating is on cold the engine temp does go higher but still drops and raises with engine use.

Now my garage said it has checked all the sensors and changed the water pump. the fins on the pump were damaged so it needed changing but this has still not resolved this issue. did the blue water test to check the head gasket and that was fine. Anyone else have this problem or is the garage I go to rubbish and its OH SO SIMPLE

·
Registered
417 Posts
Change your garage, these people do not know what they R doing. With these symptoms first thing to be checked is thermostat. It seams that it is stuck in the open position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had the same problem with my 9-3 1.9 tid vector sport 150. Temp low on gauge while driving and very bad heating inside the cabin. Got my mechanic to change timing belt and water pump ( it was due anyway). changed the thermostat at the same time. still the same when I got it back. but he said that engine temp is normal.
Then two weeks later I remembered that the last time it went in for service they never changed pollen filter. went to the shop and got one. changed it myself in 15 min (very easy). I couldn't believe how bad it was. cleaned all round it (lots of leafs and dust). I couldn't believe what difference it made when I sat into it drove away. started heating after 2min from cold start ( it used to take 10 or more before). try it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for replying, I know when I first got the car it held a nice steady 90. Are all cars ment to maintain a steady 90 once fully warm? My garage said the running temp for my TiD is 60C but im under the impression it should still set to 90C.

Were can I find the pollen filter once I open the bonnet??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its verg easy and quick. I see you have right hand drive. Pop up the bonnet and as you facing the car the filter is on your right hand side, right under your windscreen. You'll see a plastic cover. Theres a pin on side of it. Remove that. Remove the rubber seal going all the way across. Lift the cover and you'll see one more plastic guard. Pull it out. You then should see a pollen filter. My one was black and full of leafs. Pop open two white clips on top of the housing on each side. Be carefull-they break very easy. Remove the filter. Get a hoover and hoover up all the debry around. Put in a new filter. And you're done. By the way when you putting all back make sure you put the second guard in its correct possition cos you could end up with water soaking you filter.
I paid €14 for the filter (in Ireland) and it took me 20max to do the job. I couldn't believe the difference it made.
Try and let us know how you got on. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Its verg easy and quick. I see you have right hand drive. Pop up the bonnet and as you facing the car the filter is on your right hand side, right under your windscreen. You'll see a plastic cover. Theres a pin on side of it. Remove that. Remove the rubber seal going all the way across. Lift the cover and you'll see one more plastic guard. Pull it out. You then should see a pollen filter. My one was black and full of leafs. Pop open two white clips on top of the housing on each side. Be carefull-they break very easy. Remove the filter. Get a hoover and hoover up all the debry around. Put in a new filter. And you're done. By the way when you putting all back make sure you put the second guard in its correct possition cos you could end up with water soaking you filter.
I paid €14 for the filter (in Ireland) and it took me 20max to do the job. I couldn't believe the difference it made.
Try and let us know how you got on. :)
I'm sorry, this is totally unrelated but what second guard are you talking about? My car does not have this (and thus gets soaked!!!) Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Cabin filter got nothing to do with operating engine temperature. It could contribute to bad heating because there is no or little air flow.
Gauge on the dash is not there to show cabin air temperature but engine temperature. Gauge on the dash is not part of climate control.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dont want to sound smart, but I think most of here know that the temp gauge in the dash is for showing engine temp. As you can see in the topic the fellow saab lover has two issues. First being cabin heating, second - engine temp. My pic of temp gauge is was to illustrate that his engine's temp is quite normal in diesel engines and he shouln't worry bout it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
my temp gauge when 6 oC or less sits similar to yours, middle if say 15 oC WHEN ON MOTORWAYS....

It takes a good 3 miles to get to 1/4 mark. quicker if in summer

around town today it was half way. 6 oC today!!

BUT

Friday, after having o2 sensor sorted, as i parked up, eml came on..coolant system failure??? after being scaned today

last few days the heater has been great !!! including the few days before eml came on (even mrs noticed heater was better than norm)
I used to have to put it on 25 min to get decent heat, now lovely at 21/22 or so.wtf.. could this be sticking thermostat... it was minus 1 on friday when light came on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just had the same exact problem last week. Replace your thermostat. You should have got a check engine light already that gives you a ETC code and light a schmuck I replaced the ETC first even thought I knew it was the thermostat. It was easier to change the ETC then the thermostat. That didn't fix the problem so I then replaced the thermostat and everything is back to normal. Its been a week and no check engine and car warms up quick and stays at a normal temperature driving all day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks..the ect sensor was a code that throw up a couple times, but was allways mixed with sai and o2 sensor, so changed ect sensor in oct with sai pump ...when last week he said o2 sensor for sure needs changing , he also said theres still ect code, but he said 'mabe a stored one from previous' as he saw code before and it hadn't been scanned at his place since then...so like yours all along it was the thermostat ..i hope.. cheap and easy i would imagine???

·
Registered
137 Posts
After I replaced my ect the first time around because that what the code said the next day the cel came back on and it was the same ect code. Im guessing that since the car stays cold its tricking the computer into thinking its the ect and not the thermostat because the car is not overheating, maybe? I think I paid $17 for the thermostat and then a gallon of antifreeze It was pretty simple to change the thermostat just make sure you got a bucket or something underneath the car if you do it yourself so you dont make a mess out of your driveway. I work for my father at a Sunoco Service Center so I have all the tools and programs I need. When I go to work tomorrow I can probably get you a detailed print out step by step on how to remove the thermostat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for info ...very kind, iv'e spoke to mate and he's a mechanic, he should be able to sort with me no probs next week.
Unless theres some easy work around on removal, or things to avoid, there's no need for how to...but others may find it usefull if you do, thanks again for help...top man.

Ill keep you posted...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Cabin filter got nothing to do with operating engine temperature. It could contribute to bad heating because there is no or little air flow.
Gauge on the dash is not there to show cabin air temperature but engine temperature. Gauge on the dash is not part of climate control.
Fully agree.
Change garages, if possible, better yet, DIY.
Cleaning the cabin filter is part of regular maintenance.
It may not necessarily be the thermostat.....even with all the symptoms pointing to that direction.
It may be that the radiator fans are working at all the wrong times - as improbable as this seems.
It will not hurt to check this out....very easy to do...surely, in all of England there resides a real mechanic......
And, BTW, many consider the thermostat to be a maintenance item, good for...say...5 years...

·
Registered
78 Posts
not quit sure what last post was aimed at.. ref to saying engine temp gauge nothing to do with cabin air temp...i think every one who own's a saab would know that....(or any other car)

first ive heard of a thermostat being a servicable item... if any of my cars thermostats failed after 5 yeras i would be pissed...never had a prob in any .
3 cars over 140/150/120k... all original thermostats

I think thermostat is the only other possible issue in relation to my post after sensor has been changed. poss opening to quickly!!, or seizing every now and again causing ect sensor to go crazy.(hence fault code before and after change)

cabin filter changed not too long ago.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts