SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am fairly dumb when it comes to the "insides" of my sportcombi. Other than checking my oil level, I haven't really looked at the engine of my SC. I noticed a wire with nothing attached to it, which was located on the left side of the battery if I was facing the front of the car. Could someone tell me what that wire (it's the brown plastic thing attached to the wire) is and if it is supposed to be attached to something??? Thanks in advance.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,196 Posts
I don't know what it soes, but I spotted where mine goes...

To the right of the loose wire in you photo is a black plastic block, with a finned aluminum heat sink in its center, attached to the side of the battery cover. Large wiring looms connect to the front and rear sides of this block.

On my 2006 2.0T SC, the two wire connector is attached to a mating connector which barely protrudes from the the back side of the large wiring loom whch connects to the front of the black plastic block.

Initially I thought this might be for fog lamps, but after looking under my hood I am not so sure. My SC has front fogs, does yours?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
It is for James Bond 007 to attach his oil slick device.:p

Seriously, my car is parked outside and it is dark. My best guess is that is is wiring to the TCM ECM, which is traction control related. If you wait, I'll tell you tomorrow when I look.

Someone in the world knows. That's why when Osama bin Laden made a video, some guy in the US recognized the rocks behind him and knew the exact location. Since then, bin Laden has appeared with only a blanket or blank wall in the background.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finch 93 said:
It is for James Bond 007 to attach his oil slick device.:p

Seriously, my car is parked outside and it is dark. My best guess is that is is wiring to the TCM ECM, which is traction control related. If you wait, I'll tell you tomorrow when I look.

Someone in the world knows. That's why when Osama bin Laden made a video, some guy in the US recognized the rocks behind him and knew the exact location. Since then, bin Laden has appeared with only a blanket or blank wall in the background.
HAH.

That would be great if you could check it out for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MI-Roger said:
To the right of the loose wire in you photo is a black plastic block, with a finned aluminum heat sink in its center, attached to the side of the battery cover. Large wiring looms connect to the front and rear sides of this block.

On my 2006 2.0T SC, the two wire connector is attached to a mating connector which barely protrudes from the the back side of the large wiring loom whch connects to the front of the black plastic block.

Initially I thought this might be for fog lamps, but after looking under my hood I am not so sure. My SC has front fogs, does yours?
My SC does not have fog lamps - hopefully this is a connection for it. I guess I'll send this to my service advisor.

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,488 Posts
On my 2006 93 SS, the only two-wire Delphi connectors like that one in that general area are for the hood switch, brake fluid level switch, and the coolant level switch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
MrRun2Fast said:
Hi everyone,

Could someone tell me what that wire (it's the brown plastic thing attached to the wire) is and if it is supposed to be attached to something???
I'm almost 100% certain it's the connector for the headlamp washer motor. Any Xenon owners have that connector loose?

Mine's like your photos, I don't have xenons :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
759 Posts
My car has both headlight washer and fogs. This connector is hooked to a female connector going into another harness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VectorDan said:
I'm almost 100% certain it's the connector for the headlamp washer motor. Any Xenon owners have that connector loose?

Mine's like your photos, I don't have xenons :cry:
Ahh. Thanks! I have a base model without any extras.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Sorry for misinformation.

My car does not have it and does not have headlight wipers. The TechII is so tempermental that I think if you connected a motor to it, the headlight wipers would not work.

I stand corrected. Your car does not have TCM. The TCM would be a black box attached to the sidewall of the battery box. In the picture, it would be 1.5" from the top of the picture, 2" from the right, just behind that other black box fixed to the side wall of the battery box and below that black tube that is in a track.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,161 Posts
cover

The engine compartment is largely covered so we cant even see the engine itself. However from my last car I know that there are not one but several of those blank connexions. They are used to add on options and the like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,509 Posts
A simple solution would be to stop by the dealer and ask them to step out andtake a quick look, if they try to schedule you for an appt, just say your just curious but want to make sure it won't do any harm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,583 Posts
MrRun2Fast said:
Ahh. Thanks! I have a base model without any extras.
Aaaahh Yes !
The harness is there nevertheless and it is secured with a cable tie on a coolant hose, a cheap way of doing things in my book.....
If Saab/GM were to build this car on a high professional level, they would have a cover over the unknown harness end along with an ID.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JonV said:
A simple solution would be to stop by the dealer and ask them to step out andtake a quick look, if they try to schedule you for an appt, just say your just curious but want to make sure it won't do any harm.
I would have done that, but I am at my parents house for the holidays - nearest dealer is 30 miles away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JonV said:
Well, no Emergency right! People will be guessing all day:D...errr all week!
Well, think of it as trivia! When I find out what it is, we will definitely have a winner!

I appreciate the responses from everyone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Finch 93 said:
Sorry for misinformation.

My car does not have it and does not have headlight wipers. The TechII is so tempermental that I think if you connected a motor to it, the headlight wipers would not work.
I was referring to the headlight washer pump motor. The 9-3ss doesn't have headlight wipers. The washers (if you have them) are concealed beneath a cover plate on the bumper in front of the headlights. They pop up via the pump pressure when they're activated, then retract thanks to a spring, similar to a pop-up sprinkler.

Do you have Xenons? If you have Xenons, you have washers. If you have washers, you don't have a spare connector.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top