SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well here it is. Worse than I thought it'd come out to be.

Things that could have been avoided:

Accident: Frame Bending, Radiator - $680
TWICE Unit replacement (drove through water) - $500
Inner drive bushing - $300? (Could have inspected the car better before buying)
New front brake rotors/pads (let the car sit for a month) - $180
Radiator fails after used radiator put in from accident (lasted 2 years though) from craigslist for $80 (Had to pay labor since out of state when it failed, and also buy a brand new radiator) - $600 - $300/radiator $300/labor

Other than that, things like snow tires ($600) jacked up the price. Everything else was pretty routine.
Also left out the cost of two control arms and $50 of spark plugs

Starting to wonder when to ditch this car and take the loss. Not sure if it's best to keep til 150,000mi and toss it or just toss it now!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
In the first year that I owned my car I paid about $300 to fix my Evap System, which I could have done myself for under $100 but I had one shot to pass, and about $130 to put in a used radiator, new lower hose and ATF while I was at it. The radiator only had to be replaced because someone hit my car. Everything else (tires, vacuum lines, ect...) was just pretty much maintenance. So $around $430 in repairs for the first year I owned my car isn't bad at all, now just don't ask about this year! :lol:

·
Registered
349 Posts
I hope i dont spend that on my car, unless if for performance and handling parts. i do have about 400 in parts to buy not including the new exhaust i need. but im gonna do all the work myself so i should save a lot there.

Ive had my s10 for about 35k miles and i have about 1500 into it, but that includes the a rebuilt trans in there.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Honestly don't see much out of the ordinary for a 10+ yr old car. You just got it at the time when parts fail. Bet if you got another car pushing 10 years you would be spending near identical amounts. 10 years takes a toll on a human body let alone a machine that does thousands of miles at a time.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope you upgraded when you had to get new parts like the cat convert..you way over paided on some parts like the pvc kit
Definitely not, the cat got downgraded to aftermarket, actually, haha. The PCV kit was whatever eeuroparts had, plus I might have lumped in some other oil venting parts that didn't come with the kit to replace.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
You got hosed in a few of those items, if i didn't blow the transmission :roll: on one of my cars I probably would have had a much lower average money spent. According to my statements I spent on average ~$450/month on my two saabs if you include gas over the course of 100K+ miles. Both cars started with about 100K miles on them. I do 90% of the work myself as long as I have the tools (eg: front suspension I cannot do because I don't have a big enough bar to get the front axle nut loose)

Things I've replaced:
DIC
Water Pump
Fan Resistor (radiator)
Fan Resistor (ACC)
Spark Plugs ~x6 sets
3 Serpentine Belts
4 control arms 2 with the poly bushings
2 stanchion arms
2 catback exhausts
2 Downpipes (replace with GS 3in necessary for only one of the cars)
1 rear axel (due to accident)
2 inner tie rods (accident)
3 shock mounts
4 shock absorbers
2 bass speakers
4 headlights
8 rotors and 2 full sets of brake pads with new fluid
1 transmission
1 slave cylinder
1 rear main seal
1 valve cover gasket
6 motor/transmission mounts
1 wheel due to pot hole
3 sets of tires (winter and summer)
1 turbocharger
1 SID
1 Wheelbearing
1 Fuel Pump
2 fuel filters
2 air filters
6 tie rod ends
2 swaybar links
2 rear camber shims

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Definitely not, the cat got downgraded to aftermarket, actually, haha. The PCV kit was whatever eeuroparts had, plus I might have lumped in some other oil venting parts that didn't come with the kit to replace.
by that i mean for a hundred bucks more on the cat you could have gotten a gs 3 dp with cat

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Revived the old expense chart.

Now 8 years in, 65,000mi later from day one purchased around 50,000mi. Currently at 116,000mi.
Bought for $6k. Including that, now at $16,000 including all repairs, fluid changes, tires (no insurance included).
That means this car has costed $0.24/mi. Or $2650/yr, or $220/mo.
If another 50,000mi (with no repairs), will be about $0.15/mi at ~170,000 miles.

Currently,
The oil is leaky (oil pan gasket..?)
The transmission leaks slowly (gasket and/or out of a once repaired bushing on driver's side) and whines
The rear strut mounts need to be fixed of rust, rust being fixed on hood and on body
Car lags when accelerating (fuel filter...vacuum leaks..?)
Coolant leaks out of somewhere (pump?)

Have learned:
Bare bones rotors and pads could have saved a little money
Doing the E brake and and AC/Waterpump/....ok, every labor item... could have saved
Probably didn't have to get oil filters/mufflers/brakeware/fuel filters from Eeuroparts
Did not need bilsteins, although they were on sale that one time...
Did not need to drive through that huge amount of water, destroying TWICE unit
Rust is exponential!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts