SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
bmstatic, I'm going to catch the next flight to Belgium and sodomize you with a rusty spoon if you don't stop flaming my post

·
Registered
116 Posts
Make sure you replaced that CPS . :D
It's one of the most cheap parts.

Don't be stubborn , and search also in that area !
From start topic on you said i dont think it's the CPS , while the CPS is one of the first things you have to look when not be able to start .

Your car started when waited a long time . later that day you started again .
Result NOTHING .

I only see two options . CPS / FPR.
Pump ? It's brand new ! Your guess it is the pump .
If I were You , I was allready back at the dealership .
They placed it they figure it out .

Seems to me that you're not very sure either :)

NOT START ....
FUELL SUPLY and IGNITION .
PUMP OK
FPR ?
FILTER ?
DIC ?
PLUGS ?
CPS ?

No error codes ?
Open SID ?
Lambda values ? WBL values ?

Did a reset ?

cheers !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
thanks for a constructive post. anywho, i took the DIC off, put a plug in and grounded the plug. it had spark for a split second then none. i tried placing the plug everywhere nut nothing. all the fuses are good. so it must be either the DIC or CPS.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Testing the DI Cassette

Turn the Cassette over & put the plugs in the holes, ground each plug to the negative battery terminal and turn the engine over watching the spark. If there is a problem with the cassette, one of the plugs will have no spark or a very weak spark. Also, when you turn the ignition key off there should be a shower of sparks that runs the length of the plugs several times. There have been occasions when the DI cassettes would test ok when turned upside down but would fail when turned back over to install into the valve cover!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
FYI the shower of sparks on shutdown only happens with T5 systems. That was removed with T7. Also, I believe the the engine needs to be running, then stopped for the shower part to kick in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My point of view stays the same :D
CPS !

If your DIC is bad , your car should run with Multiple misfires.
So you should be able to start.
It's just going down the hill from that moment on .
And you are standing completely down that hill (instantly)
It's hard to believe that your DIC would TOTALLY break down instantly .

First thing i did when i bought my saab is replacing all the pain in the *** hardware .

CPS and DIC where on that list .

Still not convinced ?
Try to get a used (good) DIC from a friend or from a wrecked SAAB (scrapyard) and do some tests :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
My point of view stays the same :D
CPS !

If your DIC is bad , your car should run with Multiple misfires.
So you should be able to start.
It's just going down the hill from that moment on .
And you are standing completely down that hill (instantly)
It's hard to believe that your DIC would TOTALLY break down instantly .
Saturday night I was traveling along at about 40mph when my car gave a spit and a shudder and lost power immediately. I had to pull to the side of the road and as I stopped the car, so did the engine.
After being towed home and sitting in my garage over night, it still would not start.
Long story short; I had the DIC replaced under warranty that a garage had done back in June of this year. Once I got the new unit on, the car fired right up. Took it for a test drive of about 20 minutes, came home, turned it off and waited about 5 minutes and restarted the car just fine.

My point is that a DIC CAN AND WILL go bad instantly. But knowing that Saab's are famous for bad turbos, DICs, CPSs and so on does make me want to replace the CPS as soon as possible. I have no idea if it has ever been replaced before.

There are many variables to consider here, but as is life; sometimes the obvious isn't. :eek:

- Mike

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
which is why most of us around here have a spare either in the trunk or at home. I've seen them die instantly as well. the OEM TK3.7 units seem to be better though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
unfortunatly i have no friends with saabs :( and with my luck they would have the wrong type of DIC even if they did have a Saab. Anywho I'm going to try a new DIC first because the CPS is a pain in the ***, plus theres snow on the ground and I have no garage to do the CPS in.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Any "Black" cassette will work in your car. The best ones are SEM version TK3.7, that was the last one made by Saab that has the most updates in it. The aftermarket ones are hit-and-miss. Some people have reported that they work well, but there have been a lot of reports of failures.

A new OEM black cassette will set you back over $400. (the CPS will set you back about $30 and about a half hour of your time to install it. Surely you know SOMEONE with a garage that you could use or at least a car-port that has a dry/cold spot where you can lay on the ground?)

·
Registered
106 Posts
which is why most of us around here have a spare either in the trunk or at home. I've seen them die instantly as well. the OEM TK3.7 units seem to be better though.
I'm learning that the hard way unclemiltie LOL
I will purchase one as soon as I can. That way I can use the newest one as a backup.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
BTW, independent Saab shops often have used DICs around that are throwing some codes but that the car runs with them. I had one guy here offer me one that was tossing out P1312 and P1334 codes for $25. Might be worth it to keep one of those around for when you're in a pinch and trying to get another good/new one.

But if you keep your eye out for someone who is junking a Saab or at the junkyard you can find them. I will say that they are often one of the first thing to go when those cars hit the yard.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Strange that the DIC went bad instantly :confused:
Normally it goed from not good to not at all ....
misfires / bad starting / lost torque - hp ....

DIC and cps replacing .

GOOD LUCK Sir !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
tried starting it today. it stumbled and rumbled and fumbled. i turned the key, tried again, and it stumbled then started, almos stalled, cought itselft and ran smooth. I took it for a drive and it ran as smooth as can be. I think im going to try replacing the CPS first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Trying to buy a 01 9-5 that won't start at all. As soon as I locate the CP's I'll change it and let you know what happens. Thanks for the good threads!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts