SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up fellow saab people. My 9-5 refuses to start. I was not present, but I was told the car cranked, started, idled rough and then stalled. I am home now with the car. So now it cranks but won't start. The Tac reads 200 RPM so I don't think it's the CPS. I smell no burning electronics so i don't think it's the DIC. I lifted the back seat up and the fuel pump defenitly turns on when the key is turned.
What's weird is when I turn the key and crank the engine, then return the key back to "on" and try and turn the key again, it won't move. There's something locking the key out from going to the "start" position. I am also getting the "time for service" message on the SID. The battery and oil light are on, but if my memory serves me right they go away after the engine starts.
Any help here?

·
Registered
770 Posts
More information

It seems like there are several things happening here. First, the message on the SID as far as I would guess has nothing to do with the issue - it's time/mileage based I believe. So it won't have anything to do with why the car's not starting.

When my DIC was going, I only smelled the electronics cooking after it had been running a while - not at start up. So I wouldn't necessarily rule that out. Same with the fuel pump, although I think you're right that it's not that. When mine failed I had 10 PSI at the rail and so it was still pumping, just not enough to get the car started.

I can't comment on the CPS because I haven't had that go. As far as the key goes - I suspect that's just another part failure and not something that would affect your ability to start the car. Are you getting any other messages on the SID? And, could you see if there are any CEL codes? Oh, and yes, the battery and oil light go off after it starts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the CEL isn't on, but i don't have a code reader to see if there are any stored codes. Lateley the car would sometimes dip to 400-500 RPM's after stopping and putting it in park. Vaccume lines perhaps?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so for the heck of it i tried starting the car this morning. It first sputtered like it wanted to start, but wouldn't. I turned the key again and it fired right up then died. I then checked the fuses, and they were fine. So then with the key "ON", I pushed the release valve on the fuel rail. A small quick squirt of fuel from remenant pressure shot out. Isn't it supposed to be a continuous, powerful stream? Or does the fuel pump turn on momentarily, stop, then pump again when the car turns on? Btw the fuel pump and sending unit was replaced in April with a brand new one.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I think what will happen is that when the ignition is turned on the pump will run to prime the system, and continue to run while cranking the engine and after it has started up, but if the engine stops rotating the pump will switch off.

If my understanding is correct this is a safety feature, i.e. you don't want the fuel pump to keep running if the ignition is on but the engine has stopped running, as might be the case in a serious accident. You don't want the pump to keep operating if there is the possibility that it's pumping fuel out of a fractured fuel line, major fire risk...

As to the ignition switch, I think it's normal to have to return the switch to 'off' before it will allow the starter motor to operate again.

Regards,
John.

so for the heck of it i tried starting the car this morning. It first sputtered like it wanted to start, but wouldn't. I turned the key again and it fired right up then died. I then checked the fuses, and they were fine. So then with the key "ON", I pushed the release valve on the fuel rail. A small quick squirt of fuel from remenant pressure shot out. Isn't it supposed to be a continuous, powerful stream? Or does the fuel pump turn on momentarily, stop, then pump again when the car turns on? Btw the fuel pump and sending unit was replaced in April with a brand new one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tried the car again today around noon and it started right up. i let it run for 5 minutes and said cool, it's working. I tried it again a couple minutes ago (8:30 pm) and it started right up, ran for literally one second then died.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
i let it run for 5 minutes and said cool, it's working. I tried it again a couple minutes ago (8:30 pm) and it started right up, ran for literally one second then died.
It's foolish to tempt the gods of Saab by thinking such reckless thoughts...

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the pump was replaced in the spring by a local garage. It never measured fuel right since then and now this...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ones engine is COLD , your car starts right up .
Ones a bit of heat it shuts down .

CPS !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOOK, smartass, the car wouldn't start when it was COLD, and since I didn't drive it when it did start, idk if it won't start when it's warm. I'm not saying it isn't the CPS, but I never said it didn't start when warm.

·
Registered
12,351 Posts
Try pouring a little gas into the throttle body. If it starts for a few seconds, you have a gas supply problem. If it doesn't start, you have a spark problem... Ron

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm having a very similar issue with mine.
Never had a starting problem until it died last night.
I have not been able to get it to start since.

I replaced the fuel filter.
Pressure at the check valve on the fuel rail has good pressure.

I pulled the DIC to do a spark test on with all plugs installed.
When I pulled the plugs I saw they were wet. They smelled like gasoline. My intuition tells me the DIC died completely.
Also upon inspection of the plug boots on the DIC I found many problems. At least to me.
You tube vid here: http://youtu.be/9aDIuNSJbfs

So I'm on a DIC hunt now.

Pull a plug or two after you have tried to start it. If you smell fuel, there obviously is no spark. Work backwards from there.

- Mike

·
Registered
7,701 Posts
Ones engine is COLD , your car starts right up .
Ones a bit of heat it shuts down .

CPS !
Not always…

My son's 99 lost the CPS and was running one afternoon, he parked it and it wouldn't start the next morning.

The more normal failure mode for the CPS is starts cold doesn't start hot but that's not all of the failure modes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You allready had a pump replaced !

Go to your Dealer !
He installed it !
Don't botter us !
Smartass !

We are only here to help !

Dumbass !

·
Registered
106 Posts
You allready had a pump replaced !

Go to your Dealer !
He installed it !
Don't botter us !
Smartass !

We are only here to help !

Dumbass !
Is it necessary to be so vehement?
This is a forum for DIYers. We all have different methods of repairing our vehicles. We come here for advise and ideas.
You apparently experienced a situation where the CPS was the problem. Others here have found it to be something completely different.

Instead of bashing someone for asking questions and not agreeing with your determination, try being a little more diplomatic. Instead of acting like a politician running for re-election.

- Mike
PS ... this is just my opinion. Nothing more. Nothing less. Take it or leave it. There won't be any ego tripping by me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts