SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I will be driving my 01 saab SE 2.0 HOT to memphis for a serious medical checkup this wednesday night.

I have replace the rear breaks (going out bad, i replaced the belt (old age), had my mechanic change my oil (will double check before i head out), rotated tires (Still need to balance and 4pt align). I've also just replace a wheel bearing that was going out (last week). (all parts on my saab are still original, minus oil and spark plugs) only 64k miles on (bougth at 46k)

I do have one issue, my Abs, break light comes on and that triangle. The speedo goes to 0 and odo doesnt record millage.

I talked to the locate stealership (95 dollars to diagnoised my car on a tech 2, who said they can tell me if it is a speed sensor going out but would not be able to do it in the time before i leave wednesday to memphis. I am
fairly confident (if i stay behind a vehicle) I will be going

Id go in antoher vehicle but its 80 Ford Bronco and I have not even finished repairing alot of it so I figure the Saab is safer

Anything else I should check before I go?

I am tempted monday night replace the antifreeze, though All Data says use saab I was wondering if the Autozone stuff will work for a short amount.
we have recently started get in the 20s and teens in Baton Rouge and my car had no issues. I check the temp in Memphis for the days im up there and they will be right at freezing (32f, 0C) I think my car will survive until i get back to do a full flush but wanted to get y'alls idea

My second question is i am thinking of bleeding the breaks as i do not know how long it has been sense they were. Dot 4 of course, they have lasted me the pass year but wanted to get y'alls idea just incase. I do plan to bleed and refill.

My power steering is good but wondering if need to drain and replace as im sure of the age.

One thing I do plan to get, if recommend is washing fluid that is made for sub freeze temp as i notice my "squirters" dont like to work when at freesing temps or around it lol, is there anyway to just drain it beside holding my windshield wipers on the whole time

(I am on a 100dollar budget as I need gas money to get up there lol)

(Of course sparkys have been replace. Spare tire will be checked monday then tuesday to confirm air holdness)
Also have 2 types of road side assistance but I prefer to do things myself ( i only got it as my parents are on my cell and insurance plan and they threw it in for free for me, this helps mom out alot if im away)

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Always monitor the fluid levels.
If they have been steady for 3 months, I'd say you are good to go is this area.
Wheel bearing noise, my '96 may have this, and may have for a long time..
A really good mechanic can listen and tell how bad this is.
Anyone can use a Tech 2 or a code reader, but only the experts can interpret the numbers/readings. If $95 is charged, a professional road test should be included, the car wash is,IMO, not necessary.
I do not know about the coolant; around this time, the manufacturers switched to a so-called lifetime solution.
Check your manual.
I use the old green with anti-rust(great stuff), but the change is due(after 5 plus years)..
Anti-freeze, like oil, does not "wear out", but it become dirty - and this is one reason for changing every so often.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only lost in oil is after a change, i lose 1qt after 5k miles (leaky head gasket which i plan to replace with income tax refund comes in and i have a second vehicle to get to work)

For the coolent it says use SAab Coolent which im like Huh? but ive read alot user mercadies red.

Thank you very much for the prompt response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts