SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Got myself a SAAB last December - 2007 9-3 V6 6-speed manual. In October or November, I found that my car was dead in the morning. I jumped it and it started but died a day or two later.

I flipped/jiggled all the switches after this second jump because I sort of thought something could be draining on the battery. The car ran fine for another week or so, and then one morning I found it dead again. I again tried to jump it, but this time it didn't start the car. And then I got the error message, "remove key, turn steering wheel, reinsert key (or restart)."

After much googling, I replaced my ISM (but the one I got was from a junkyard, with a key, but I'm not confident in its functioning) and then I replaced my battery. I have checked my fuses (although I haven't done the disconnect battery, remove fuse 1 and 2, chill, reinsert fuses and attach battery, the person I was working with wasn't convinced of the validity of this method), but all of them are still showing complete circuits. I got the car to start by I guess "hot wiring" - sticking a wire into the R8 starter motor fuse, and from there I was able to check the alternator and starter and verified these were not the issue.

At the moment, I can turn my key and I get power to electrical components, but the car makes no turning over sound. I feel like the energy or power is not getting to the engine at this point...

I do love working on my car, but being a new driver and with car continuously getting my tech based, I sort of feel this car will be one of my last that I will be able to stick my hands into and solve some problems, so I would love to be able to solve this problem and I am hoping it is mostly mechanical, but I am starting to think I may have to consider looking at the CIM or reprograming something.

I am posting to see if anyone in the Cape Cod area has a TechII and would want to give a newbie a hand at trying to fix her SAAB, or even just any general advice on some other things to check.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you really like the car and want to keep it, you'll need to get a Tech2 (or, you'll be spending a lot of money paying others to use theirs). You'll also have to learn how to use it and apply that knowledge to your car. It's a pretty steep learning curve, but if you have the desire and time, everything you'll need to know is right here on this forum. It's not gonna be quick and there's a lot to learn. But, with patience and perseverance you can do it. It's also extremely rewarding once you "get the hang of it" :geek:
What is the current state and condition of your battery? Saabs can be finicky when it comes to batteries. Make sure its a good battery and fully charged. Any auto parts store can test and charge it for free. Since it's been dead, I'd start there. Stop trying to "hot wire" the car. That can't be done with these car. Yes, you verified your started works, but thats about it.
Also, many try the ISM (I did, too). They don't go bad as much as people think. The circuitry inside the ISM is very well protected and despite how they look on the outside, usually ok internally. It is also a "plug and play" part and no programming is required.
The "key" is a different story. Keys need to me "married" or programmed to the car. Can't just get a new key and have it work.
Long story, lots of twists and turns. Think of it as a journey. An '07 9-3 V6 6-speed sounds awesome. If you're up for the challenge, I'd give it a shot. Assuming the car is in good condition and not a high mileage, neglected, rusted out "basket case", of course...heh heh.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should add, I am not getting a click sound of the steering wheel lock system when I insert the key. I'm wondering about your key suggestion, and definitely not ruling it out. I am starting to think that it might be a programming issue because there is plenty of power there (and I'm not planning on 'hot wiring' it really ever again 😂 but it was nice knowing she still runs, and doing some diagnostics while the motor was on). But something doesn't seem to be registering between the key connection and the steering lock system.

Part of me really just wants to get her running, I don't know if she's necessarily is worth keeping. I paid around $1,800 for her with a broken clutch, put about $1,000 in and got a new clutch, fly wheel, slave cylinders, basic tune up, and I thought a new battery, but it turned out to be completely dead when I recently checked - this might be a issue due to this starting issue, but I think it's also more common with the V6s.
Shes got a clean exterior, black, interior leather is wore but intact, electrics have been worked on (sound system cords but system isn't there anymore 🤷‍♀️). Biggest draw back for me is whatever's going on in the transmission. I'm not sure if it's a big or small problem, but it misses when the speed varies quickly - like if you needed to slow down quickly and then speed back up on a busy highway, I'd usually get a miss, so not too frequent (I'm not really a car person, I just started driving and this was my first car, but when I asked a friend what about the situation, he said the timing was off and it was called a miss). She has power and when shes not missing speeds up nice but not as smooth as new cars when going over 80, and can be finicky going into 5th 🙆‍♀️😂. I think I like the challenge of fixing a car, I have this one and it has a problem, but I guess it's probably not really worth putting the money into it if the problem isn't mechanical. The guy quoted me $650 or 750.

Is using a tech 2 the only way to be completely sure what the issue is when it could be a key, ism or cim?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Steering column lock wont start working again until the car has been driven a few time/miles. Sounds like you have multiple issues going on. Hard to tell from your descriptions.
For clarity...are you saying the car actually started AND continued to run when you used a "jumper wire" in place of the R8 fuse?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, the car has a few issues and I’m not trying to fix all of them 🙃

So are you saying you don’t think I shouldn’t hear a click when I insert the key until after I get it up and moving for awhile?

The car does start and continues to run with the jump wire.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
So are you saying you don’t think I shouldn’t hear a click when I insert the key until after I get it up and moving for awhile?

The car does start and continues to run with the jump wire.
Yes.
Have you double checked that you have intact wires between UEC and ME9 and TCM?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts