SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 channel amp, 2 6.5 comp speakers. I was going to install the speakers one day, then install my amp in the boot (connect it via the lead in the back) Power the 2 front speakers and a sub.

I must also say, I'm doing this in around 1-2 degree C, weather.

Took me nearly 2 hours to pry off the door handle panel on the driver side. As is, I broke the tip off, which I had to super glue. Then Turns out I need a special screw driver, luckily my dad has access to all sorts of tools, I get it two days later. I unscrew both screws today, and try to remove the entire door panel from the bottom.

And try... and Try. I used a steel letter opener, a very long and flat cooking utensil (which I bent. At least I have a good gift idea for my mother) and even used a steel pocket screwdriver. I started at the bottom corner, put it in, pulled, and nothing. I went all around the entire door, and nothing. And trust me, I put force into it, so much so that I started to bend parts of the door panel out of shape (ugh!) and bent both the screwdriver and letter opener.

Help! I know it's probably the cold (and the fact that the car is 4 years old., but I really don't have a warm place to go like a garage), the weather is only going to get colder, and I'm moving to an area where it'll be -40c in a month or so.

God I hope taking out the drivers seat won't be as difficult =(

Also, I don't trust best buy (and there 2 week wait) and other places quoted me at 500$!?!?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust me. I did, I bent/broke all my wedging objects. Anyone have a suggestion as to something I can use to wedge it open?

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
The door pull cover is removed most easily by starting at the bottom and prying the lip over a ridge. You can use a small flat blade screwdriver and twisting motion. Once the lower corner (the angled portion) is released the rest comes easy. If you just pull the cover, this corner may break off.

To remove door panel start at lower rear corner. I use a putty knife. Insert about 2-3". Get it next to a fastener. You can feel when it gets close. Then pry until one fastener "pops." You will probably need the tool to pop one more fastener, then the rest you will able to pop by hand. It can be hard to get these off the first time, but I don't think the cold has as much affect on the materials as it does your level of frustration.

A putty knife is thin and flat and will let you get in tight with a door clip fastener. It is also made of a type of spring steel which will tend to flex rather than bend. I use a knife with a blade 4" long x 1.5" wide. I also have a special Lisle tool for door clips, but find the putty knife works better on the Saab.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts