SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing an OEM intercooler from an older c900 into my 1992 3-door.

I just can't seem to the long delivery pipe to fit. It's like if the turbo was clocked just a bit it would fit, but i can't get it in without it getting stuck on the "gearbox oil" dipstick. Almost broke the dipstick trying to pry it in. Fits if i take out the dipstick but that's not a good solution.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm sweating, it's hot, and it's midnight, and I'm peeved at this. Please help.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Does your 3 door have an automatic tranny?? Both of my manuals have the tranny dip stick under the exhaust manifold.

You might try ordering a longer silicone rubber connector if you can't make it work by fitting the pipe end first, then sliding it onto the turbo.

Good luck.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Yeah it's an auto and unlike the manuals, the gearbox oil dipstick is right there in the way.

I decided to screw it and took it out, opting to stuff the intercooler into my other c900 (manual) instead.... so now the regular delivery pipe is back on...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
airplane stuff, right?

can those tubes hold pressure and heat? I suppose they could be used for intake pipes, but for delivery pipe purposes?!?!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I think you are thinking on scat tube. That one is used in the low pressure side of the intake. This one is sceet. It is rated to 40psi and 700F and is used to connect turbos to intakes and intercoolers in airplanes. This one is thicker and have a smooth inside; the wire reinforcement in between the layers of the material the walls are made of. I have used it in my Mercedes turbodiesel and helped a shop I know to replace a broken turbo to intercooler hose with some extra I had.

·
Registered
155 Posts
teej said:
Thanks guys.

Yeah it's an auto and unlike the manuals, the gearbox oil dipstick is right there in the way.

I decided to screw it and took it out, opting to stuff the intercooler into my other c900 (manual) instead.... so now the regular delivery pipe is back on...
hi, mine's an auto too...

when i was fitting mine (i've got the original hoses), i had to adjust the hoses frequently before they fitted correctly. although during the installation i kept having the feeling that i needed a longer hose or pipe.

the thing to it is adjusting how much of the pipe is inserted into the hoses. for me, i inserted the pipes just enough for them to be tightened..

cheers

·
Registered
962 Posts
I had the same problem. Seems to be confined to auto LPTs.

I ended up cutting the hi-pressure side piping after the elbow, twisting it and reattaching it with a rubber hose. You may not notice the different alignment, so I've highlighted it with green and blue arrows....

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I wonder how the standard, factory fitted full pressure automatic fits? Is this just an issue with the old pipework, or do we seem to have a problem even with the later wider bore pipes?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
that's a good idea jameschong... i should have thought of that, i even have the extra rubber hose too...

but i already put the intercooler in my other classic... but for next time, I'll keep that method in mind.

I think it's an auto lpt thing (at least it is when using the old OEM intercoolers).

·
Registered
962 Posts
teej said:
I think it's an auto lpt thing (at least it is when using the old OEM intercoolers).
Yeah, I think so too. I know of manual ex-LPTs who don't seem to have that problem. That's piqued my curiosity - I'm going to have a look at factory-fitted ICs on autos if I get a chance to.

·
Registered
155 Posts
jameschong said:
I had the same problem. Seems to be confined to auto LPTs.

I ended up cutting the hi-pressure side piping after the elbow, twisting it and reattaching it with a rubber hose. You may not notice the different alignment, so I've highlighted it with green and blue arrows....

i did not seem to have much problem with the fitting, although I had to make sure the pipes were not inserted too much into the hoses...

with all these discussions, i think i had better check that there's no leak. as i said earlier, i kept having the feeling that the pipes and hoses were a little short... :confused:

cheers

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I have asked someone I know with an automatic full pressure car to take a photograph, so we can see what they look like as a factory fit. Surely, the turbo is the same (on later LPT and FPT cars) ... the same orientation and the automatic dipstick will be in the same place.

Pekhs seemed to get his installed with relative ease, particulary when you look at this picture:

Our 'vert is in the garage this week for the aircon removal. It doesn't work and it has to be removed (discharged, etc) professionally, so my garage are going to fit the intercooler and pre-APC actuator (stronger than the APC and LPT actuator) as well, using the same later, wider bore pipework as Pekhs did. I'll let you know how they get on.

·
Registered
155 Posts
i took some more pics of the pipe to turbo, seems that the pipe in my vert clears the dip stick by quite a few inches. looks to me the pipe in my vert is not original when i compare it to teej's...

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Pekhs - Your pipe work is from a later car, post-1991, IIRC. Teej's pipework is the earlier type coloured black and a seam is present down the pipe. The older pipes have a narrower bore ... 45mm IIRC and the later ones 60mm.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Okay, guys, here's a photograph of a factory installed intercooler on an automatic. This car is a full pressure turbo, 1991 model year, using the later style shiny/wider pipework:

http://www.saabphotos.com/gallery/albums/Orca_Misc/DSCF6336.jpg

The guy who took the photograph has asked if there should be a cover over the front of the engine ... like a "clutch" cover. I know there is no clutch, so to speak, on an auto, but mine does not have a cover either ... does anyone's?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts