SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with my axle carrier bearing? This is for a og 93 so the intermidiate shaft and companion flange are one piece. My question is i already have my transmission removed from the car so do i actually have to remove the whole alternator bracket and bottom alternator bolt to replace the bearing? Im not exactly sure what holds the intermidiate shaft in, i was hoping i could remove the snap ring on the side with the rubber guard for dust and use a hammer/punch to push the shaft out of the bracket?? I might just take it to the mechanic as ive heard someone say you need a press to put the new bearing on?
Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
10,278 Posts
The alternator bracket does have to come out. There are a pair of snap rings that hold the bearing and the driveshaft in the bracket. If I'm remembering this correctly, you take one snap ring off so that you can tap the shaft out of the bearing, and then take the other snap ring off so you can tap the bearing out of the bracket.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks a lot. Do you think this is something i can do without a puller or press? Seems like maybe a block of wood and a sledge would work? Id remove the snap ring, tap out the shaft, tap out the bearing (snap ring comes off of course) and then couldnt i just use a socket or piece of wood to install the new bearing? Ive never done this job before so im not sure how hard it is to tap the bearing and shaft in/out.Im about to send my steering knuckles out to have my wheel bearings pressed in/out so while im there do you recommend just paying a shop to do it? I dont even have snap ring pliers ? yet so id have to buy a pair.

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
You shouldn't need a puller or press to replace the bearing - it's not all that tight in there. Remove the bottom alternator bolt, then the three bolts holding the bracket to the engine.

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
Be sure you have something to hold the alternator up and away, or you'll get real frustrated real fast. Shoving a wood block between the alternator and engine works well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds good im still a little confused why i even have to take the bracket off it seems like it can be done in car. I have tons of room no axles tranny or steering knuckles/strut towers are in the way.. Is removal just to make the install of the bearing easier?

·
Registered
7,132 Posts
There's no way it could be done reliably in the car. It's four bolts, maybe five minutes of work... hardly worth getting upset about.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fair enough, its already off and done definitely easier outta the car ? it was more of a "is it possible theoretically questions."

Thanks for the help, had a good day working on the saab i got my eibachs and konis all installed and the axle bearing, the only mishap is i broke one abs sensor! Arghhh always those damn abs sensors haha 70$ mistake

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Usually i just break the bolt (i did that to the bracket bolt) and ill slide it off and just get a new bolt but i actually broke the whole sensor and cant find any info where the wire connects to or how to do that it might be self explanatory once i pull the grommet off. i could start a new thread? Or maybe someone here knows

1 - 10 of 10 Posts