SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After filling up my gas tank the needle reads as shown in the photo. At the time I filled the car up my DTE was 37 miles and my avg mpg was 25.2. I'm guessing it calculates the DTE based on (avg mpg / fuel left in the tank) which would give .68 gallons. I took these numbers down at the gas station when I filled up my tank. The receipt read that I had pumped 16.680 gallons. My tank is supposed to hold 18.5 gallons. So theoretically I have 16.68+.68=17.36 gallons in there after filling. Has anyone had this same issue? Not a huge deal but it's a little annoying.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Hold down the clear button on the SID and reset everything and see if anything changes. Your gas tank Also probably have baffles in it to prevent the gas from sloshing around and that takes up some capacity

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, holding the button didn't do anything. It's this way everytime I fill up. On my past two Saabs ('02 9-3SE and '02 9-5 Aero Wagon) the needle would always go up to the very top of the gauge every time, so I feel like something is off.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have found that when it looks full, lean against the car and rock it side to side, then waite a few seconds, it seems to help to get a bit more in the tank. Perhaps gets out some air

Tom

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll give it a try. Why would the gas pump shut off automatically if it weren't full, though? I'm figuring it's possibly something wrong in the system that reports the amount of fuel in the tank?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing when I go to fill up. It goes right where the needle is in your picture and never any higher. IDK why it does that.

·
Registered
8,299 Posts
I'll give it a try. Why would the gas pump shut off automatically if it weren't full, though? I'm figuring it's possibly something wrong in the system that reports the amount of fuel in the tank?
There is a little flapper valve in the filler neck that can get stuck and not allow a full tanki. You can see it when you slid a screwdriver i the door that covers the filling hole. If you put the screw driver in teh hole and keep it open it will fill more

Mine does the exact same thing when I go to fill up. It goes right where the needle is in your picture and never any higher. IDK why it does that.
Some model years have baffles in the tank that brek loose and block the gauge float in there. Search and see wht years. they can be removed. Also the fule needle can be adjuted to read differently ( calibrated) with a tech II

·
Registered
599 Posts
The DTE readout does not show true miles till your car stalls out, there is a significant safety margin built into the system to keep people from stranding themselves and ruining their fuel pumps by running their tanks dry.

When my low fuel light comes on it'll only take about 15.5 gallons to fill it, so there's between 70-100 mile safety margin built in there. I'm not sure what the DTE reads there but I bet the DTE goes to zero and you can go a good 50 miles still. When your DTE makes you think you only have .68 gallons in there its more like 2 full gallons.

The photo of the gauge is showing full. There is a little break in the white line and that break is the full mark.

Do not overfill your gas tank. When the pump shuts off, take the nozzle out and put the gas cap back on. Overfilling your tank can damage the evaporative emissions system in the car if you do it often enough.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Ive got the same size tank in my V6 and I've never had it happen. Could it be a sensor inside the gas tank or something that told it to shut off before it was suppose to?

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
Have someone with a tech 2 reprogram it.

Yeah, holding the button didn't do anything. It's this way everytime I fill up. On my past two Saabs ('02 9-3SE and '02 9-5 Aero Wagon) the needle would always go up to the very top of the gauge every time, so I feel like something is off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts