SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm a new owner of 2001 9-5 SE Wagon Automatic with only 75k miles. Shortly after purchase I discovered a shudder when reversing. I inspected the torque rod and saw it was worn so I replaced with a new one. Immediately the car would not reverse at all. I could move the shifter to reverse and the dash indicator showed reverse but the car will not move. The engine revs as if the car is in neutral. I now suspect a problem with the gear linkage but the bushing under the battery looks to be OK. I understand there is an adjustment to the cable that can be made but lots of searching hasn't produced a detailed set of instructions. Can anyone help or offer alternative advice.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
have some one move the shifter in the car while you confirm the mechanism is working under the battery. You will need to look down beside the battery ,with the battery cover off ; its visible to do so. From there , if the cable is moving the lever google: " adjustment for 9-5 auto trans ahift cable ".... and go from there

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I already had my wife move the shifter and saw the the lever was moving in all positions and didn't see any play in the bushing. I had googled intensively and visited most of the links your search suggested. I did not find an explanation of how to do the adjustment, however. Lots of DIY fixes for the bushing but I don't think that's my problem.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
generally when a trans fails the only thing left that works is reverse. In your case its onlu possible to make wild armchair guesses. Good luck. Get some professional advice if you are able

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If it worked fine before, I'm strongly hunching you've bumped something, or the torque arm shuffled things a bit from where they were -- Honestly, never really dealt with an automatic, but since you did a) and then instantly lost reverse, that's either really really bad luck or something is amiss!

Best of luck, keep us informed!
_Benjamin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Totally agree, that's why I wanted to adjust the cable. I just talked to a mechanic friend who suggested getting the front wheels off the ground so I could play with the adjustment and test reverse more easily.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
To assist in the diagnostics, let's get some background on how this all works:

• The lever moves the gearshift selection switch (a.k.a Neutral Safety Switch), this is on the top of the transmission
  • The gearshift selection switch sends a signal to the TCM telling it which gear to engage
  • The TCM sends a signal to the solenoids in the transmission to engage different gears. (and also tells it when to shift) It also sends a signal to the instrument panel telling it which light to turn on in the instrument cluster

So, if you put the car in reverse and the reverse light on the instrument cluster comes on, there is nothing wrong with the gearshift selector or the adjustment. The TCM is receiving the right information and doing what it should.

With this you have possible faults in wires to/from the TCM to the solenoids or something inside the transmission. you can scope out the wires, there is a connector on the TCM, one under the battery and then the one on/in the transmission.

If you put the car in reverse and the light doesn't come on then it's likely that either the adjustment is wrong, the lever is broken or the gearshift switch is bad.

The gearshift switch is a source of problems on these cars. there are tutorials on how to take it apart and clean it.

But first try to isolate where the issue lies, then you can start chasing different parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for that explanation. Since the reverse light on the instrument cluster comes on then that should mean that the adjustment is correct.

I should add that the car does move back very slowly in reverse on level ground but only at high revs, that what makes me think its mostly in neutral.

On sloping ground it just rolls forward and will not reverse at all.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
But it works in drive? have you checked the fluid level?

Something is going on inside, either you have a bad solenoid that won't engage a Reverse clutch or there is some internal damage on the transmission.

The AW50-42 is a reasonably common transmission on a lot of Japanese and European cars. Take it to a reputable transmission shop, one that will diagnose it and not just tell you that you need a new transmission. (like putting pressure gauges on the pressure taps and really diagnosing what is wrong) That transmission should not be bad at that mileage. hopefully it's something simple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts