SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my dad's got a flat tyre and i'm trying to put the spare tyre on.
the problem is that there doesn't seem to be a tool that fits one of the nuts.
on each wheel there is a nut which is bigger than the rest. in the boot there is an adapter for the wrench with three little prongs sticking out of the end but this doesn't fit the bigger bolt at all. should there be a tool somewhere in the car that fits? what tool do you think i might need to order? maybe it's gonna be a garage call-out.:eek:
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I believe the "larger nut" is a cover for the locking wheel nut. If you take taht off the three pronged "key" should fit the hidden nut.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahaa! thanks for that, so does that cover just pull off? i'm not round my dad's at the moment to see...

thanks,
ezman

X

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the locking nut. You will need to take the cover off then use the nut key to remove it. :)

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
On the same note, when i had the new wheels fitted i casually threw the locking nut adaptor in the boot. Looking for it 2 days later it was nowhere to be found, i pulled everything out of the boot/trunk looking for it but with no success. What i did find was a Saab wheel key identification book, that had the serial no. of the locking nut so i ordered a replacement from my main stealership.... "£32 please sir" :eek: . Guess what i found a week after i bought the replacement? GRRRRRRR :evil:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kermit,

The only thing missing when I bought the car was the locking wheel nut. Went to Newbury SAAB and they supplied one, from stock, for £17.90 (Including VAT).:D They have a master set, supply from that, and re-order to restock. I have found this dealership to be really helpful :) , and have also ordered a "remote Key" to replace the big black slug I currently have. This is a little more expensive at £91.00 :cry:

Sounds like your dealer was marking up their prices. :evil:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Mac, the key at £91 sounds about right if that includes the programming, thats what i paid at my local stealership. This may sound like a silly question but what sort of key do you have for the locking nut? Has it got pins that engage in corresponding holes on the bolt or does it have a continuous wavy rim (hard to explain) that matches with the inset wavy groove on the bolt? My key is the 2nd type and had to be done via special order from Sweden, it took a week to arrive. You can just about see it in the pic.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It was a three pin jobbie - obviously easier to steal than you wavy-edged one!

Like your wheels :), mine are the standard (?) 3 spoke.

Nive to know there is such a large SAAB community out there to draw information from. Will login whenever work allows ;)

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
interesting...

My car didn't come with locking wheel nuts...

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
I'm not sure they come with locking nuts as standard..... any car i've owned with a decent set of alloys i've purchased a set of lock nuts for about £30. Saab lock nut sets are more expensive (about £70) and to be honest i can't see much difference in quality. :roll:

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Kermits 9-5 said:
I'm not sure they come with locking nuts as standard..... any car i've owned with a decent set of alloys i've purchased a set of lock nuts for about £30. Saab lock nut sets are more expensive (about £70) and to be honest i can't see much difference in quality. :roll:

Maybe the only benefit is that the dealer can service the car without having to find your key...

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
No, you still have to give them the key to take the wheels off for a brake check. No advantage at all. :x

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Though I have to wonder about the value of the Saab variety, especially if they can provide new keys on demand...

Truth be told, there are very few other cars that have the same bolt pattern as saabs... So If someone is going to steal your wheels, they are probably going to use them on a saab....

They might alos be more likely to have a wheel lock nut set of their own, by saabs manufacture, that might just fit :p

That being said, has anyone here actually had their wheels stolen? To me that only something they use in movies.. you know.. place a car on cinder blocks in the middle of the scene to spell out that the characters are in a bad neighborhood... :p

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mattlach said:
That being said, has anyone here actually had their wheels stolen? To me that only something they use in movies.. you know.. place a car on cinder blocks in the middle of the scene to spell out that the characters are in a bad neighborhood... :p
I haven't but about 3 years ago a bloke at the bottom of our street had the alloys on his Hyundai Sonata taken one night and the car was sat on 4 piles of bricks on the front yard. He's parked it in the garage ever since.

The wheels were the nicest part of his car.

Regards
Paul

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had the 3-prong locking nuts and ended up binning them!!
They are not very strong and with repeated removal the shoulders start to chamfer. This came to a horrible head when I went to get new front tyres and the fitter couldnt get the wheels off as the locking nut had chamfered and were unusable.:(

I has to go to another garage which had a 'special' cap that went over the top of the locker and pinched into the side. The lockers had the rotating sleve and this adapter still took it off.
The mechanic said that if anyone wants your wheels and knows what they are doing he will have this adapter and can remove any locking wheel nut!:eek:

The lockers are just a pain for servicing and when you get a flat!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts