SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched the forum and can't find an answer. Will pulling the fuse labeled "Bulb Test" on my 2007 9-5 Aero eliminate bulb out messages for LED bulbs? Will pulling that fuse also stop the LEDs from blinking while the car is off, which I've heard is common? Thanks in advance for any helpful feedback.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
There is no blinking issue with og 9-5.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Haven't tried pulling that fuse. However, with the fuse in you will only get the bulb out error message though. I tried LEDs in the brake bulbs and the check engine came on saying there was an electrical fault, so I wouldn't try those unless you're going to add resistors. But front fogs, side markers, and reverse work with LEDs. I tried the rear fog too, but it also gives the error message. Interesting how the reverse didn't give an error message

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
The check engine light shouldn't come on with LEDs in the brake lights. You might get a "rear light failure" message on the SID, but that's easily fixed with a resistor. The only lights that are monitored on a 9-5 are the headlights, taillights, and brake lights. Everything else should be fine with LEDs, except for the blinkers. They'll flash quickly, like every car made since the beginning of time does when a blinker goes out. I'm really surprised that a rear fog light would produce an error. That bulb shouldn't be monitored, but maybe that was a Dame Edna addition.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why it gave a check engine for the brake lights. But that's what the check engine said when I checked it with my tech 2. I don't recall what code it gave, but I feel like it's just an 06-09 thing

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info everyone! I'm used to dealing with hyperflash caused by low draw from LEDs, so I'm no stranger to resistors. CANBUS systems are entirely new to me, though o_O

Jeremy I know you said it's only headlights, tails, and brakes, but what about license plate lights?

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,522 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone! I'm used to dealing with hyperflash caused by low draw from LEDs, so I'm no stranger to resistors. CANBUS systems are entirely new to me, though o_O

Jeremy I know you said it's only headlights, tails, and brakes, but what about license plate lights?
License plate lights aren't monitored. Trust me, you find that out when you get stopped for having no plate lights and wonder how long it's been like that lol.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
My previous 9-5 had blown license plate light for 3 years. No error signs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I'm planning on doing full interior and exterior LEDs (except for my headlights, those I'm keeping Xenon) and it looks like I'll only need resisters for the turn signals to keep from hyperflashing. Those and tail and brake lights. I should be able to find tail and brake lights that are LED and CANBUS compatible. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
There is no bulb test fuse.
Which fuse (nr) you pulled and where?

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
Headlight check relay fuse. No effect on other lights.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hate to revive this post, but I just had to change my Rear Fog Light Bulb. When it went out, I got a message on SID that said "Rear Fog Light Failure". I haven't had a chance to order the LED I was going to put there, so I just replaced it with another standard bulb.

Will I get an error message on SID if I use an LED bulb for the Rear Fog Light? Do I have to use a CANBUS bulb? Resistor?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts