SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I need just a little extra torque holding for my stage 3 linear with 275ft/lbs of torque. My current clutch is from the factory with 192K miles on it and it will hold sometimes... sometimes its a smoke show though so I wanna try a new OEM clutch kit with new flywheel and throw in a Spec clutch plate for a little more friction. Does this combination work?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I also have a stage 3 linear and I'm using a solid Fidanza flywheel with the LSJ upgrade clutch. Works like a charm. But if you don't want to go that far, you can just do a heavier pressure plate from Clutchnet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
For what its worth, if I were you I would not go into the clutch just to replace the pressure plate with that kind of mileage. Mine would do the same thing.... sometimes hold... sometimes not so much. I have about the same mileage also. When my mechanic swapped it out he said that the plate didn't look bad but the flywheel was worn out (thanks DMF). Just saying... thats a lot of labor to do or pay someone to do just to have to go back in to replace the flywheel if it still slips.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For what its worth, if I were you I would not go into the clutch just to replace the pressure plate with that kind of mileage. Mine would do the same thing.... sometimes hold... sometimes not so much. I have about the same mileage also. When my mechanic swapped it out he said that the plate didn't look bad but the flywheel was worn out (thanks DMF). Just saying... thats a lot of labor to do or pay someone to do just to have to go back in to replace the flywheel if it still slips.
I would be getting new stock flywheel and pressure plate just more friction with a plate. But I have had my mind set on the same setup as you have but could you do a run down of any difficulties during install? Is it all compatible 100% cuz ive read there's a few special things

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would be getting new stock flywheel and pressure plate just more friction with a plate. But I have had my mind set on the same setup as you have but could you do a run down of any difficulties during install? Is it all compatible 100% cuz ive read there's a few special things
It's 100% apples to apples installation swap. Dimensionally, the Fidanza flywheel is the same as the stock one so no issues there. And the LSJ upgrade clutch kit and slave are bolt ons also once you have a that flywheel. As a bonus, I like the more positive engagement of the Fidanza versus the "squishy" feel of the DMF. Plus it sheds a little weight. Not a huge difference, but revs up slightly quicker.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I went round and round myself on whether or not to just get a heavier pressure plate to save some $. But I just couldn't reconcile saving a few bucks on parts and have to have it torn apart again if that didn't work out. And for the money, you can't find a better clutch setup than the LSJ upgrade. There's guys on cobalt forums running that clutch with like 400hp and no issues.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I think i'll get in trouble with a good clutch haha 5th gear on the highway is crazy even with slippage. I go 75-100 sometimes without realizing it on a lane change and overtake
Yeah it's amazing the potential these cars have with some tuning. I had a stage 2 before the stage 3 and it was night and day difference from stock but I never really even got to enjoy it cuz my clutch started slipping a couple weeks after I had it tuned. So naturally the fix was to put a downpipe on it and do a stage 3 to go along with the clutch/flywheel swap.:cheesy:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes Ive yet to get a dp.... haha egt's have been fine so far I don't wide open throttle hardly ever. There are two flywheels fidanza offers for our cars. One says fidanza flywheel thats all another says Ralco RZ flywheel (see here: http://thmotorsports.com/ralco-rz/ralco-rz-speed-flywheel/rz36931/i-531571.aspx). Which did you buy? the regular one I take it because it weighs in at 12lbs already and I imagine the Ralco is like 8 which would be ridiculous..

·
Registered
646 Posts
From what I've read, it seems to be the DM flywheel that causes premature failure with staged clutch kits. The way they hold heat is terrible and then add extra friction and you get a recipe for disaster. I'm pretty sure that's what it came down to. I'll have to look into it again sometime, too tired right now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes Ive yet to get a dp.... haha egt's have been fine so far I don't wide open throttle hardly ever. There are two flywheels fidanza offers for our cars. One says fidanza flywheel thats all another says Ralco RZ flywheel (see here: http://thmotorsports.com/ralco-rz/ralco-rz-speed-flywheel/rz36931/i-531571.aspx). Which did you buy? the regular one I take it because it weighs in at 12lbs already and I imagine the Ralco is like 8 which would be ridiculous..
I went with the Fidanza 12lb flywheel. You are running a stage 3 with the stock dp? How are you measuring egt's? The 3" dp will make a huge difference with a stage 3.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know the stock dp is very restrictive but I haven't been able to justify more power before getting a clutch. I run stage 2 95% of the time just recently I put stage 3 on to try it out the last few days. What is an ATI front crank dampener? I just changed my timing chain and my guess is that a slightly lighter flywheel won't be an issue in terms of crank sensor issues? But I will be installing a Fidanza SMF and Ecotec LSJ uprated clutch hopefully when the winter clears up.... if my clutch lasts that long! Long winters here in Maine... really mild winter so far almost no snow on the roads atm. I do all my own work and maintenance so I feel like a clutch would be a good investment even with the high mileage because the engine feels just as good as factory.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.