SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 9-5 with a 2.3 lpt turbo. I did do a search and found a little. Has anyone done the timing chain & guides along with the new balance chain and gears with the engine still in the car. Or with the engine lifted partially? ANy help is appreciated. Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did this to my 2001 95 about a year ago. The hardest part was removing the Torx screws from the Timing cover and getting the cover off between the engine and inner fender. You need to loosen all motor mounts and shift engine over about an inch or so. When I replaced the cover I installed Hex bolts instead of the Torx which makes it much easier. I did this as well as replace the head gasket all in the car. Once the cover is off everything is easily replaced. I never removed the oil pan but would if I had to do it again. Makes it even easier. Things I found that need to be removed are the crankshaft pulley, alternator, power steering pump, water pump etc.

Hope this helps. I did it in my garage with fairly basic tools except for an impact gun to get the main pulley off. Any other questions let me know.

Lawrence

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lawrence,
Thanks for the help. I got cheap when I replaced the engine and should have done the work then. Now I'm paying the price. I assume the axles get pulled too in order to shift the motor. I may be back in touch with you. Thanks again,
Ted

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ted,

You do not need to pull the axles. The amount you need to shift is not more than a few inches. Once the motor mounts were loose, I had my son shift the engine using a piece of wood between the block and inner fender and I worked it out. no damage what so ever. You need to remove the right front wheel and inner plastic fender of coarse. During the process I found some minor parts that would have needed replacing such as vacuum hose, seals etc which was great. Remember the timing cover and pan have no gaskets. They are sealed with the Saab product or I used Loctite 618 I believe which is the same product. Doesn't leak a drop. Put 30k on the car since then and working great.

Lawrence

1 - 7 of 7 Posts