SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mechanic says my lower ball joint "is on the way out". I decided to check it this weekend by jacking up the car and trying to rock the wheel at 3 & 9 position as well as 12 and 6 position with it suspended in the air. Absolutely no movement whatsoever. It also looks visually perfect. Checked both sides. So I'm wondering if this is a sufficient test on a C900, I know it works for other cars. Any input appreciated!

·
Registered
178 Posts
You really need to get in with a pry bar and pull straight up and down to check for play. Grabbing the wheel is OK for wheel bearings and steering play, but on a double-wishbone setup especially you can't get leverage on the primary axis of the ball joints. They'd have to be pretty bad before you'd feel play.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
That is not a a good test. With the wheel in the air you will not detect any movement because the spring is still pressing down on the balljoint and masking any play. You will need to put some spacers in the top wishbone to take pressure off the balljoint to do a proper test. Frequently with a worn lower balljoint you can experience vague and imprecise steering.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts