SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
E85

I read where your good as long as it doesn't have any other additives. They sell it here and I have used it in another car we had that had the flex fuel setup. Every time we used it it would suck gas. Got terrible gas mileage. Even though it was cheaper it would burn it up quickly. If I used 93 octane it would get better gas mileage and last a lot longer. Might go ahead and try a tank just to see how performance wise and mileage compares to 93 I am using now.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Normally aspirated car will not have (almost) any good using E85.
BUT, Saab has turbo and extremely sophisticated engine control system (Trionic) and we can get more power (no knocking etc) and turbo will reduce fuel consumption.

Here in Finland, E85 (bioethanol) costs about 1e/l. and 95E (regular gasoline which contains 10% ethanol) about 1.50e/l.
Fuel consumption increases (in my case) about 2l/100km from 9 to 11 litres/100 km.

So it is cheaper (and enviroiment friendly) use E85 + you get more power.

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
I read where your good as long as it doesn't have any other additives. They sell it here and I have used it in another car we had that had the flex fuel setup. Every time we used it it would suck gas. Got terrible gas mileage. Even though it was cheaper it would burn it up quickly. If I used 93 octane it would get better gas mileage and last a lot longer. Might go ahead and try a tank just to see how performance wise and mileage compares to 93 I am using now.
Dads Toy: E85 has less BTU per gallon than regular gasoline. Your mileage will definitely go down... but it can build more power if the engine is setup for it though since the octane number of E85 is significantly higher than even 93 octane gas. Honestly, I wouldn't think you could run E85 in your '02 9-5 ... the injectors and fuel pump are likely not sized for it.

Mimmi: here in the states, E85 is the same price as regular gasoline, so running E85 is definitely more expensive. Not worth it for a daily driver...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Dads Toy: E85 has less BTU per gallon than regular gasoline. Your mileage will definitely go down... but it can build more power if the engine is setup for it though since the octane number of E85 is significantly higher than even 93 octane gas. Honestly, I wouldn't think you could run E85 in your '02 9-5 ... the injectors and fuel pump are likely not sized for it.

Mimmi: here in the states, E85 is the same price as regular gasoline, so running E85 is definitely more expensive. Not worth it for a daily driver...
There was a time when e85 was super cheap, now it called cheap race fuel (comparing to 110 octane race fuel)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheap Gas

Where we live the E85 is cheap. Its only $1.68-$1.89 per gallon compared to 93 at $2.93. Problem running E85 is some gas line hoses and o-rings don't like it and will eat them up. Causing leaks and fuel pumps to fail. That is my main concern.

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
There was a time when e85 was super cheap, now it called cheap race fuel (comparing to 110 octane race fuel)
Yep, exactly. My brother runs it in his 1000 HP '04 GTO... :eek:

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Where we live the E85 is cheap. Its only $1.68-$1.89 per gallon compared to 93 at $2.93. Problem running E85 is some gas line hoses and o-rings don't like it and will eat them up. Causing leaks and fuel pumps to fail. That is my main concern.
Wow, that's over a $1/gallon less than it is in New England!

If your car is not OEM designed (or modified after the fact) to run E85, you should not. Fuel pump and injector sizing is a very big part of that, plus the compatibility issues you mentioned with other components.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
exactly. The old story that ethanol hurts fuel lines and o rings etc is old news. I have been racing and street using ethanol gas since 1996 I have never had an issue, and modern cars are designed to deal with it.

The short answer is NO.

The details are already explained. The benefits including octane are well known and understood, but the heat value is also well understood and the OP already recognises that, and fuel consumption as Mimmi says is horrible.

The other thing, be it 10% or even 15% if the Canadian government Nazis have their way, is that the volatility sucks. You cant store ethanol gas of any concentration or leave it in the tank unused for anything more than a month at most, without adding fuel stabilizer. The car wont start in cold temperatures with old ethanol gas.

Shell 91 premium in Ontario, available at the local Costco or the neighbourhood indigenous peoples reservation fuel outlet around here, is non ethanol and well priced. Some days its the same price as regular ethanol enhanced gasoline.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Top Tier Gas

Now we also have gas stations here that sell what is known as Top Tier Gas. This is gas that has cleaners and other additives to help with your car maintenance in helping it run cleaner. Keeps valves and other engine parts from getting carbon buildup. This gas is very corrosive. If you ever get it on your hands you know. Burns to the touch. I always wear rubber gloves when working around fuel lines just for this reason. There are some gas stations around here that sell ethanol free gas. Has nothing else in it. When most gas stations have about 10% ethanol added. These stations claim to have none. My car gets great gas mileage out of these stations. But it is about the same, if not slightly higher in price.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
BioEthanol will last about 1 yr storage (according Shell/St1).
BUT ethanol will dilute to water, so open container (as gas tank) will have water with ethanol, so my advice is if you are going to store, use regular gasoline.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I used to run E85 in my 03 9-5. I got a really noticeable boost in power running E85. To run E85, I had to get an ECU tune and install bigger injectors. The other thing to be aware of is that my E85 tune turns off the emissions systems so you will need to turn the emissions back on if you live in a state where you need to pass inspections.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to run E85 in my 03 9-5. I got a really noticeable boost in power running E85. To run E85, I had to get an ECU tune and install bigger injectors. The other thing to be aware of is that my E85 tune turns off the emissions systems so you will need to turn the emissions back on if you live in a state where you need to pass inspections.
do you know what size injectors you needed i have same car and i wanna run e85 and i was just wondering what injectors you got and if i went back to running 93 would i have to put the stock injectors back in?

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
BioEthanol will last about 1 yr storage (according Shell/St1).
BUT ethanol will dilute to water, so open container (as gas tank) will have water with ethanol, so my advice is if you are going to store, use regular gasoline.
exactly. Pure ethanol has a few weeks shelf life. E10andE85 take longer to seperate out. You need boh injectors and a tune. Expensive Lousy mileage as heat value on btu Is less. Great octane. Not worth it

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'm running Siemens Deka 630cc injectors on my E85 tune, along with copper plugs gapped to 0.8 mm. Everything else is stock. Heatsoak is non-existent (car was an absolute slug in the heat before on 91/93 octane) and the extra power/torque is very noticeable. Have noticed no negative effects from E85 at all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts